Automattic builds related content, recommendations, and search for websites, e-commerce sites, blogs, and the WordPress.com Reader. We connect millions of publishers with billions of readers every month and look for ways to help new publishers build an audience. We have only just started to scratch the surface of providing engaging, relevant search results for the Open Web.
Our system runs on open source: Elasticsearch, MySQL, Spark, Kafka, HDFS (and WordPress of course).
Sound fun? It is.
Here are some skills that will come in handy:
- Experience with Open Source search systems: Elasticsearch, Solr, Lucene.
- Great programming skills in both dynamic and compiled languages (especially PHP and Java/Scala).
- Knowledge of scaling search systems: high volume indexing and querying.
- Understanding how to combine and build signals from many sources to create and evaluate novel search algorithms.
- A strong understanding of distributed computing and system performance.
- Ability to take a project from idea to implementation, putting the minimal system needed into production, but with an eye on where we need to be in 5 years.
- Great troubleshooting skills.
How to Apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ this domain telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please make sure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.