Work With Us
Want to make the web a better place for more than a billion people each month? We’re hiring.
- Business Engineer
- Code Wrangler
- Data Wrangler
- Director of Business Wrangling
- Happiness Engineer
- Happiness Engineer (BR-PT)
- Human (Resources) Wrangler
- Legal Counsel
- Lounge Wrangler
- Mobile Developer
- Technical Account Engineer
- Theme Wrangler
- User Interface Designer
- Woo Happiness Engineer
How We Work
Choose your own adventure · Everyone works from their own home or office, and we’re spread out all over the world—United States, Canada, Ireland, Scotland, Japan, Iceland, Bulgaria, Australia, and more. We track about 70% of our projects on P2-themed WordPress.com blogs, 25% in private chat rooms, and the rest on Slack. Because of the geographic variance, we’re active pretty much 24/7. We care about the work you produce, not just the hours you put in.
Would you like to know a bit more about what it’s like to be part of Automattic? Check out Daily Tekk’s interview with Sara Rosso, where she talks about our culture, how we work, how we keep in touch, how we communicate, and how we have fun. Here’s some coverage in the Wall Street Journal.
Coming on board · When you make it past the interview stage we’ll do a project together on contract, typically lasting between 2–6 weeks depending on how much time you can spend, to see how we work together. When you join full-time, regardless of your position, you’ll do customer support for WordPress.com for your first three weeks. We believe this early connection with the people who use our products is irreplaceable.
Our Development Process
Data-informed, user-driven · For every feature we launch, we gather metrics about its usage, interaction, and growth in addition to listening to the masses of feedback we get on our blog and through support. This helps us inform decisions about where things need to go. It’s not uncommon to launch a feature and then revise it several times over the next week.
Is Automattic growing? Yes.
Total WordPress.com, Akismet, Polldaddy, and Jetpack users.
- Open vacation policy (no set number of days per year). We encourage all employees to take the time they need for vacation, to pursue their own interests, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- Home office setup and coworking allowances. Working from a coffee shop? You can use your coworking allowance for the requisite latte!
- We happily provide or reimburse hardware and software you’ll need, as well as books or conferences that promote continued learning.
- Company-sponsored life insurance.
- Open maternity/paternity leave. If you’ve been with Automattic for 12 months, your leave is fully paid.
- WordPress branded laptop at your four-year anniversary.
- Paid two to three-month sabbatical encouraged every five years.
- We cover all costs of company travel, so dust off that passport! Your team will get together one to three times per year in locations around the globe.
- Other benefits are country-specific, and include health, vision, and dental insurance; matching retirement/pension contributions; childcare vouchers; income protection; travel insurance; and discount offers.