Legal Operations Wrangler
We are seeking a talented legal operations wrangler, with experience in both the legal field and product development, to join Automattic’s legal team. This is a generalist role, and you’ll be an integral part of our team, managing and supporting projects across the full range of subject matter supported by the legal team. This is the ideal role for someone with a passion for sensible, practical solutions and operational excellence.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Updating + upgrading our legal policies
- Working with other members of our legal and product teams to prepare for new laws around the world that impact online services and ecommerce
- Helping teams navigate privacy and consumer protection laws in product features with direct, actionable advice that empowers them to make decisions
- Supporting our Customer Happiness teams in establishing policies and process for responding to user inquiries on topics like privacy
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Have experience working with product, Trust & Safety, fraud or customer support teams to meet legal requirements for online services and e-commerce, in areas like privacy, financial & payments regulatory frameworks, intellectual property, marketing, and consumer protection
- Thrive in a tech-centered, developer-focused environment, and are adept at collaborating with software engineers and understanding technical and product details.
- Possess an agile and curious mind. You’re not afraid to ask questions or admit when you are wrong.
- Are business minded and practical in addressing legal issues. We don’t write a lot of memos at Automattic; we solve problems and get things done.
- Have a healthy sense of humor, and an abiding spirit of idealism.
- Operate independently.
- Are a great writer.
- Love the open internet and all it stands for.
- Bonus points if you have experience in software development or WordPress programming
Want to increase your chances of standing out?
If so, please tell us more about one of the following in your cover letter:
- A law impacting online services that vexes you, and how you would fix it.
- A project that you are especially proud of, and why.
Please be sure to include at least one legal joke in your application.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1800 Automatticians in 90+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.