We’re looking for someone to lead our systems team at Automattic. The team is currently comprised of about 20 talented engineers from all over the world who develop, build, and maintain our growing global infrastructure. The team is split across systems, security, performance, network, and development groups. Our current, shared, team goals include:
- Remove as much friction as possible between Automattic developers and their goal of shipping software. When there are questions, answers can be found on our internal WordPress.com blog usually in a matter of minutes, sometimes seconds. We are also available for real-time collaboration via Slack.
- Make Automattic services as fast as possible for our users through optimization of server-side and client-side interactions.
- Maximize the availability and uptime of all services through proactive planning, sound architectural decisions, and rapid response to failures. An overview of WordPress.com uptime can be found on our status page.
- Ensure our services are safe and secure for both our users and employees through a combination of proactive monitoring and enforcement, real-time response, and ensuring data integrity/backups to allow recovery from disasters. We also manage a bounty program on HackerOne
- Share our code, experience, and knowledge, both internally and externally whenever possible. We try to blog publicly, speak at conferences, contribute to open source software, and release our own software under an open source license.
- Control costs through careful selection of technology partners and prudent negotiations of pricing and contracts.
As our company grows, so do our team’s responsibilities. The ideal candidate will:
- Have proven experience in building and managing teams of 20 to 60 people.
- Be the primary systems point of contact for all other product, technical, and support leads at Automattic. Knowing how to translate (sometimes implied) desires at the product level into execution at the systems level will be critical to success.
- Be comfortable representing the team at the executive level.
How to Apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ this domain telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please make sure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.