Product Designer, WordPress.com
We’re looking for a passionate, motivated full-stack Product Designer to join the WordPress.com design team as part of our growing design organization at Automattic. You’ll collaborate with engineers, other designers, marketers, and customer support in our fully remote company. Your mission is to help our customers be more successful online and help make the web a better, more inclusive place.
WordPress.com is a hosted version of the open source WordPress software that powers more than 33% of the web. It enables small businesses, independent publishers, hobbyist, non-profit organizations, and everyone in-between to build a website or blog quickly without any technical knowledge. The WordPress.com network welcomes more than 409 million people viewing more than 15.5 billion pages each month. We believe in enabling freedom for all echoed by our mission to democratize publishing one website at a time.
Which brings us to you: We need you to help us further our mission, enabling people all over the world, to create their place on the web for whatever their interest or need is.
What you’ll be doing:
Objective #1: Elevate the small business owner experience through simple and elegant end-to-end product design for a key moment in the customer journey.
- UI / UX Design: You’ll use your full range of research, product design, interaction design, and visual design skills to move from early exploration and research to tweaking pixels before launch. You’ll consider the full customer journey, touchpoints, mobile, and product experience.
- Ideation & Prototyping: You’ll execute rapidly at all levels of fidelity including sketches, wireframes, prototypes, visual designs, and detailed interactions for a product at scale.
- Execute: You’ll partner with developers throughout the product development process with an eye on quality to ensure a polished experience. Your experience with HTML/CSS will allow you to jump-in as needed.
- Research: Your product background and emphasis on research and strategy will support your work designing the flows people interact with.
- Communicate: You’ll effectively communicate conceptual ideas and design rationale in written form as well as verbally and visually to gain alignment and move the work forward.
- Iterate & Validate: Working in short design cycles, you’ll iterate on designs according to research and feedback, validating your work with data and real users. You will conduct evaluative testing to validate and inform the design decisions we’re making.
Objective #2: Contribute to the advancement of our design process and practices at Automattic, including the integration and adoption of a new design system (Muriel).
- Grow Our Design Community: You will collaborate with other members of the design team by giving feedback to continually improve each other’s work, and the design process itself.
- Evolve Our Design Process: You’ll help improve our design system and process by actively connecting with other designers across the company.
Have you done this before?
Do you have extensive experience rapidly iterating on digital products across all phases the product design process? Are you known for being able to move quickly and execute at a high-level?
If you’d like this to be your next challenge, send us your resume, a portfolio (if you have one), and answers to the following:
- Tell us why you’d be a good fit for the role.
- What is the product design accomplishment that you are most proud of? Speak specifically about a time when you improved an existing product.
We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out.
We’re serious about growing diversity in the tech industry. We want to build Automattic as an environment where people love their work and show respect and empathy to those with whom we interact. Diversity typically includes, but is not limited to, differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socioeconomic background, cultural background, geographic location, disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age. To work on diversity means that we welcome these differences, and strive to increase the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.