Senior Mobile Engineers (Android & iOS)
At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place. We are currently looking for several Android and iOS specialists to help us take our native WordPress, WooCommerce, Tumblr, and Simplenote apps to the next level.
We want people to be able to blog, post, and manage their site or shop wherever they are, taking advantage of the things that make our mobile devices our most important ones, such as media and notifications. We work closely with multi-functional product teams to improve the WordPress, Tumblr, and WooCommerce experience on phones and tablets — both the apps and their underlying APIs and systems.
- You are highly collaborative and you love participating in code reviews and discussions about architecture or design.
- You are passionate about and accomplished in Android or iOS software development; in particular, Kotlin and Swift.
- You are knowledgeable about design patterns and testability; experience with Espresso, performance testing and unit testing is very welcome.
- You are thoughtful about product design, with good user experience instincts.
Some of our teams are also looking for experience in one of the following areas:
- Native e-commerce apps.
- Social or content-oriented native apps.
- Experience with React Native development.
- UI design skills and knowledge of platform design specifications.
- PHP, WordPress, and REST API backend programming experience.
- Data analysis experience, and understanding of how analytics can influence product decisions.
- Knowledge of tooling and build systems.
- Open-source contributions, particularly involvement in open source (or other) communities.
Speaking of interests and skills, here are some areas in which you can grow and have further impact in the future at the company:
- Leadership – we offer a variety of leadership options to those who have interest, including becoming a team lead and managing releases.
- Learning and development – we have a generous personal development budget and encourage you to grow your skills through courses, books and conferences.
- Architecture – we encourage developers to develop expertise in the systems they work with, guide their evolution and mentor other developers working on them.
- Engineering effectiveness – we believe in helping other developers become more effective through tools, practices, cross-team collaborations, and process improvements.
How do we work?
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, deploying many times daily with the help of peer code review, continuous integration, and our global workforce in over 70 countries.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
Curious who works in engineering at Automattic? Meet our Mobile Engineers – Thuy, Elisa and Aaron!
How to Apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Applications without these questions answered will not be considered:
- Tell us about an interesting app you’ve worked on. What made it interesting?
- How do you use our products, or their competitors? How would you improve one of them?
- What questions do you have for us?