We’re looking for an exceptional attorney to help build our legal team. You will work alongside Automattic’s General Counsel to navigate the wide range of legal issues involved in building Automattic’s global business, while contributing to the WordPress community and making the internet a better place.
- Have a JD from a US accredited law school, 5+ years of experience in legal practice, and currently registered and in good standing with at least one state bar. In-house experience is preferred but not required.
- Are well-versed in issues relevant to our business. Primarily: structuring and negotiating commercial and strategic transactions, licensing (especially open source licenses), tax, intellectual property, mergers/acquisitions, and privacy. Everything at Automattic is done on a global scale and in an international context; bonus points for breadth of experience outside of the US.
- Possess an agile and curious mind. You’re not afraid to ask questions or admit when you are wrong.
- Are business minded and very practical in addressing legal issues. We don’t write a lot of memos at Automattic. We solve problems and get things done.
- Have a healthy sense of humor, and an abiding spirit of idealism about your chosen profession.
- Operate very independently.
- Recognize that law is about the grey areas, and are comfortable living in them, while giving clear and actionable advice.
- Excel at understanding complex topics and explaining them to others in clear, concise, terms.
- Are a great writer.
- Love the open internet and all it stands for.
- Thrive in a tech-centered, developer-focused environment.
The best part of the job will be its unpredictability. There are no “typical days.” You embrace this. Some of the things you might work on include:
- Mergers/acquisitions, often cross-border.
- Financing transactions, both venture capital/equity and debt.
- Developing cutting edge, user-centered policies for protecting intellectual property online.
- Structuring, negotiating and drafting deals with our business and technical partners.
- Developing litigation strategy and managing Automattic’s cases around the world.
- Building our international subsidiary and tax structure, to support business growth and hiring around the world.
- Cheerfully helping all Automatticians clear the legal hurdles that arise in their jobs: from accounting, licensing, copyright, immigration, tax, HR… and everything in between.
Like all positions at Automattic, you’ll work remotely, and can be based wherever you live. It’s not a requirement that you live in or relocate to the Bay Area to do this job.
How to ApplyDoes this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ this domain telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply. If you're reading this on a site other than automattic.com please make sure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please address some or all of following points in your application:
- Tell us about your experience with blogging, online publishing, WordPress, or the GPL.
- What’s the one area of internet law that vexes you, and what would you do to fix it?
- What is your approach to negotiation, and what do you think makes a good business deal?
- Please make sure to include at least one lawyer joke in the materials you submit.