Senior Software Engineer - Tumblr Ads
We’ve taken a novel approach to advertising at Tumblr. Rather than being segregated in terms of look and feel or functionality, ads are first-class citizens in the Tumblr-verse, and can be acted on in the same manner as any post on the site. Any piece of content you can post on Tumblr can be promoted, liked, followed, and reblogged.
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Full Stack Engineer / Senior Software Engineer to help in making our ad system an even better platform of expression for our advertisers and a meaningful experience for our users. We primarily code in PHP and Go, and our tech stack handles billions of events daily which help us power and optimize our system.
What You’ll Do:
- Work on our next-generation Ad Stack.
- Improve our existing ad products and build innovative new ones, while keeping in mind the sensibilities of Tumblr’s user community.
- Take a data-driven approach to development. If we can’t measure the impact of our changes then we don’t build it.
- Mine our existing data for product insights to guide us in creating our roadmap for tomorrow.
- Identify bottlenecks and build in fault tolerance.
- Collaborate with the rest of our small, hardworking team of designers and engineers on the above.
- Leverage open source solutions to empower our products.
- Work with our Machine Learning teams to build AI driven products.
- Own feature development from its inception through the design process, development, debugging, release, and celebration.
- Clearly communicate the status of your projects to internal stakeholders and raise concerns early so any challenges can be quickly addressed. Ability to write clearly and directly to scale yourself and share knowledge is imperative.
This position might be a good fit if you:
- Have a deep understanding of the current technical advertising landscape and toolset or a strong passion for this space.
- Have experience working on a large-scale system, know about systems architecture and experience with distributed systems. Making products faster, more scalable, and fault-tolerant.
- Are highly collaborative and you love participating in code reviews and discussions about architecture, or design.
- Are passionate about and experienced in software development; in particular, advanced PHP knowledge is a plus.
- Are knowledgeable about design patterns and testability; having experience with testing frameworks, performance testing and unit testing is very welcome.
- Have a strong eye for design, and an affection for simplicity.
- A heightened sense of ownership.
- Have a keen eye for data and using data effectively.
- Want to learn and work in a distributed company.
- Experience building and implementing native ads on web and mobile products.
- Experience with Machine Learning and algorithms.
- Fluency in Go.
- Data analysis experience, and understanding of how analytics can help with product decisions.
Speaking of interests and skills, here are some areas in which you can grow and have further impact in the future at the company:
- Leadership – we offer a variety of leadership options to those who have interest, including becoming a team lead and managing releases.
- Learning and development – we have a generous personal development budget and encourage you to grow your skills through courses, books and conferences.
- Architecture – we encourage developers to develop expertise in the systems they work with, guide their evolution and mentor other developers working on them.
- Engineering effectiveness – we believe in helping other developers become more effective through tools, practices, cross-team collaborations, and process improvements.
These are exciting times at Automattic and you’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the future of our products.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
Curious who works in engineering at Automattic? Meet our Code Wranglers – Brandon, Jeremy, Mark, Jennifer, Roy and Kat!
What to Expect
We know applying to jobs can be stressful and we want to ease the stress by giving clear expectations upfront about our process. We’ve outlined everything you need to know here including all of the steps in the process as well as how we approach hiring. We’re always iterating so if you happen to join us in the process, please feel free to offer feedback on what else we can include there!