Senior Software Engineer in Test, WordPress.com
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer in Test to join our WordPress.com team. In this role, you will help us bring the dream of democratizing the web to life, and help provide our product engineering teams with tools to deliver better quality in less time to our users.
About the role
You’re a good fit for this role if you:
- Are willing to spread test methodologies and a quality approach to the rest of the engineering org. You are always looking for a better way to do things.
- Deeply understand and know how to apply the most appropriate test methodologies at all levels of the stack, and are able to articulate comprehensive & maintainable test strategies for a product or feature.
- Are disciplined, with an eye for detail, and have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Like working in a collaborative, agile, and distributed development environment.
- Have a strong willingness to learn.
- Triage efficiently, prioritizing issues by the highest impact and scope. You know how to get the right bugs fixed.
- Are unabashedly customer-focused.
- Are thoughtful about product design, with good user experience instincts.
- Are open and able to travel 3-4 weeks per year to meet up with your teammates in person. Important note: at the moment all company travel has been suspended due to COVID-19. Automattic is monitoring government and health agency reports closely and responding however possible to prioritize safety and well-being for everyone.
- WordPress programming experience.
- Experience with open-source software and/or open-source contributions.
- Experience working with React and Docker.
How we work
- We're fully distributed! This isn’t your typical work-from-home job. Everyone works from the location they choose. We’re spread out all over the world in more than 70 countries.
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed and principles.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, deploying many times daily with the help of peer code review, continuous integration, and our global workforce around the world.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
These are exciting times at Automattic and you’ll have an outstanding opportunity to shape the future of quality for our products. Join us! We look forward to hearing from you.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1800 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.