Senior Accounting Wrangler
We are seeking an experienced accounting wrangler to join the team! This is a broad role involved in the end-to-end accounting process. An integral part of the accounting team, you'll be responsible for month-end close tasks, preparation of monthly journal entries, and account reconciliations. You'll also be jumping into one-time special projects as required. This is the ideal role for someone who loves to apply critical thinking skills to complex problems in an ever-changing environment. Oh… and you always thoroughly document your work.
On Automattic’s accounting team, we spend every single day helping our company and our investors make better decisions. We design and implement accounting policies and systems for a SaaS business with millions of subscribers in over 200 countries. We work with auditors in the U.S. and other countries around the world. We report our results, at a public-company standard, internally and to sophisticated institutional investors. We meet tax and other statutory obligations globally. We wrangle payroll. We do a lot of special projects.
We’re a distributed company, so like all positions at Automattic, you can be based wherever you live.
The Accounting Wrangler will:
- Create and post monthly journal entries, with a focus on expense accruals
- Reconcile and prepare equity accounts and our equity roll forward
- Understand, record, and reconcile inter-company transactions
- Record the expense for sales commissions and the related ASC 606 contract asset and amortization
- Prepare the monthly capitalized software entry
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations for assigned accounts on a monthly basis, ensuring accuracy and timely completion, with all issues identified and resolved before close
- Update and maintain process documentation
- Continuously challenge and improve processes and procedures aimed at increased visibility and communication of results, automation, and shorter yet more accurate close cycles
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have at least three years of combined public accounting and private industry experience.
- You have a CPA or equivalent license.
- You have experience with NetSuite or a comparable ERP.
- You have experience with multinational monthly closes, including inter-company.
- You love improving upon existing processes and procedures.
- You are obsessive about documentation in your work papers.
- You are a team-oriented professional with a “roll-up-your-sleeves” mindset, who promotes a collaborative team effort and celebrates team successes.
- You are comfortable operating independently.
- You love a dynamic, fast-growing environment.
- You are highly motivated to learn new things and improve your skills.
You have excellent verbal and written skills in English. You strive to communicate as much as possible.
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound interesting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. You will need to attach a cover letter and résumé. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so make your application stand out.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please include something about the following:
- Tell us about your favorite accounting project or a moment when you felt most energized at work.
- Tell us about the last book you read and why you would or would not recommend it.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1600 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.