Infrastructure Engineer, Openverse
We are looking for an Infrastructure Engineer to manage our distributed cloud environment running the open search platform for the WordPress Community.
We run multiple servers and services on Amazon Web Services. These include EC2 servers running a Django API server, a Node.js application, ElasticSearch, Postgres database, and Apache Airflow.
This is an opportunity to work closely with the application engineering team to build services and tools to meet the needs of scalability and growth, with a reliance on automation/scripting, monitoring & alerting, and security.
What you'll do
- Manage the systems and services that run the open image search platform. This platform indexes and serves 500m+ openly licensed images from around the internet.
- Assist the development team with the automation of services and tools.
- Assist in the rollout of critical services.
- Gain operational expertise for core data infrastructure technologies, including Amazon S3, Apache Airflow, Django, Elasticsearch, Redis, and Postgres.
We’d love to chat with you if you have:
- Experience with AWS services and administration
- Experience with Docker-based infrastructure
- Experience making large-scale systems performant, highly scalable, and robust.
- Experience in Linux systems administration and a deep understanding of web-related services (load balancers, high availability solutions, web servers, databases, caching daemons, etc.)
- Proficiency in information systems concepts, system administration, and cloud platforms.
- Proficiency with some or all of Terraform, Docker, Python, Node.js, Postgres, Apache Airflow.
- Working knowledge of network technologies such as TCP/IP stack, IPv6, DNS, Anycast, firewalls (iptables), and TLS.
- A passion for open source software.
- A willingness to learn!
How to Apply
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Please include an answer to the following question in your cover letter:
- Tell us about an interesting technical problem that you’ve worked on. What made it enjoyable?
Applicants who do not submit their cover letter with their answer will not be considered.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.