Creative Producer: Motion & Graphics, WordPress.com
At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place, and making our workplace a happy place. We hope you can join us on this journey!
We are the people behind WordPress.com, Tumblr, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and more. We are looking for a versatile graphic and motion designer to join our Creative team on WordPress.com. This role will report to the Director of Growth Creative and will focus on planning, producing, crafting, and shipping motion graphics and graphic design projects for onsite content, social, and YouTube.
We want this candidate to have excellent graphic and motion design skills, as well as a collaborative approach. In addition to graphic design, as one of our first motion designers we’ll be looking to you for your design vision, skills, and knowledge of process. You’ll:
- Build and craft Marketing design and motion graphics assets and content in a fast-paced production environment.
- Plan, storyboard, design, and animate everything from explainer and release videos, to YouTube assets and event titles.
- Collaborate closely with content and creative teams to help define the look and feel of content and Marketing at WordPress.com via direct visual brand guidelines and systems developed by Design leadership.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Crafting beautiful, engaging motion graphics content, from explainers to YouTube bumpers, brand pieces to release videos.
- Leading and collaborating with teammates and contracting partners in the creation of the above.
- Contributing to the creation of beautiful, brand-appropriate graphic design assets for Marketing content, from landing pages to YouTube videos, in-depth article spot images, to ebooks.
- Iterating towards a motion graphics design system rolling up to Product Design systems and visual guidelines, while actively shipping work at pace as part of a fast-moving production pipeline, together with a video producer/editor on the team.
- Collaborating closely with our content team to both deliver on motion graphics and graphic design requests, and to request content for your own projects.
Deep expertise in the following areas will be vital for success in this role:
Graphic design: You’re a designer as much as you’re a motion designer: whether it moves or it doesn’t, you’ve built a body of work rooted in beautiful, functional communication that transcends the sum of its parts.
Motion design: You have a deep understanding of and experience in crafting compelling motion graphics, from the tiniest GIF to animated explainer epics, events titles to lower thirds, you know how to bring it alive. After Effects is your home-from-home, and there’s a good chance you know your way around C4D or similar.
Creative development - You know how to translate an idea into a work of graphic or motion art, and the prototyping, team alignment, and collaboration that gets you from sketch to shipped.
Communication - You’re proficient in explaining and pitching your ideas and how they’ll have an impact on a project. From product owners to collaboa phenomenal you’re a great communicator and start and end your projects with collaboration in mind.
Mentoring and Leadership - You’ll never turn away an opportunity to show peers how the sausage is made, lead a colleague, contractor, or contributor in the right direction, and share insightful feedback that helps everyone to up their game.
Project Management - You know that the best work is work that gets shipped, and how to manage your time, ask for help when you need it, and make sure everyone’s on the same page All team members are encouraged to hone this skill as part of their responsibilities.
Nice to have: Understanding and knowledge of the WordPress ecosystem is a plus, including but not limited to having built websites on the WordPress platform, being a member of the WordPress community, and/or understanding the various products and tools within the Automattic portfolio.
How to apply:
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Please include a link to your reel or portfolio and answer to the following question in your cover letter:
- Tell us about a motion project you took from start to finish, and how you made it succeed?
Applicants who do not submit their cover letter with their answer will not be considered.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1600 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.