We’re a distributed and 100% remote company with 1,381 Automatticians in 79 countries speaking 100 different languages. We’re committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and our common goal is to democratize publishing and commerce so that anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world
What have we worked on recently?
- We’re building new ways to interact with WordPress. They’re simple, fast, and highly usable. They’re written in the latest web technologies and are used by millions of people. We want your help to expand our reach and keep our approach fresh.
- Gutenberg is a new block-level editor with clean abstractions for users, too, not just developers.
- WooCommerce is the most popular e-commerce platform on the web – with a number of growing functionalities around WooCommerce Shipping, WooCommerce payments and core.
- Tumblr is a microblogging and social network, in a short-form blog format, which now uses React. The Engineering blog covers a number of projects and improvements to the platform.
- Jetpack brings cloud-scale security, performance, and growth features to any WordPress site in the world.
- To view more of our recent work, check out our longer product list on Automattic.com.
- Have a passion for crafting experiences that users rave about.
- Are able to iterate and ship ideas quickly, within a highly collaborative yet autonomous team.
- Have experience with a server-side language such as NodeJS, Go, PHP, Ruby, or Python.
Extra credit if you have:
- WordPress programming experience.
- Experience using containers, Kubernetes, and Prometheus.
- Open source contributions.
- Contributions to programs designed to help underrepresented people enter the tech field.
- Experience and enthusiasm for building accessible web pages and products.
- Data analysis experience, and understanding of how analytics can help with product decisions.
- If you are most interested in working for a particular product, please let us know in your application!
How do we work?
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, deploying many times daily with the help of peer code review, continuous integration, and our global workforce in over 70 countries.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
Speaking of interests and skills, here are some areas in which you can grow and have further impact in the future at the company:
- Leadership – we offer a variety of leadership options to those who have interest, including becoming a team lead and managing releases.
- Learning and development – we have a generous personal development budget and encourage you to grow your skills through courses, books and conferences.
- Architecture – we encourage developers to develop expertise in the systems they work with, guide their evolution and mentor other developers working on them.
- Engineering effectiveness – we believe in helping other developers become more effective through tools, practices, cross-team collaborations, and process improvements.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
What to Expect
We know applying to jobs can be stressful and we want to ease the stress by giving clear expectations up front about what to expect from our process. We’ve outlined everything you need to know here including all of the steps in the process as well as how we approach hiring. We’re always iterating so if you happen to join us in the process, please feel free to offer feedback on what else we can include there!