As a Happiness Engineer, you love helping people.
Transforming publishing on the web is no small task. Our goal is to build relationships based on trust which result in happy, passionate, loyal customers and colleagues. We do this through listening to their needs and guiding them to the fullest use of the products we offer. We are looking for people with the right mix of compassion, writing skills, and technical knowledge to get the job done.
Interested in learning more about how our team works? Check out what Happiness Engineers have to say about their work.
In general, a typical day involves:
- Being an active member of a global team that provides 24/7 support via live chat, tickets, forums, and one-on-one screenshare sessions. This is a full-time position.
- Helping people use Automattic’s products, including WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Jetpack, and more.
- Troubleshooting, investigating, and creating detailed bug reports.
- Building a community of support by sharing knowledge and helping team members around the world.
Being a Happiness Engineer requires:
- Proficiency with WordPress, HTML, and CSS, along with a strong support philosophy.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, with a knack for taking technical language and making it understandable.
- A passion for solving tough problems and proposing elegant solutions.
- An ability to learn and adapt so that you can help teach others.
- Patience, grace, and a sense of humor.
Happiness Engineers should be fluent and eloquent in written English. If you know additional languages, be sure to tell us.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1200 Automatticians in 75+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to Apply
To submit your application, view the source code for this web page and locate the div with the class code-is-poetry. Visit the URL enclosed within that div to submit your application.
Write a cover letter to let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please answer the following question in your cover letter:
Describe your problem solving strategy. For example, how might you try to find an answer you don’t already know to a technical question while a user is waiting?
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.