Growth Strategist, WordPress.com
We’re looking for an experienced marketing professional to join our WordPress.com Growth R&D team in Marketing. The Growth R&D team focuses on incubating and developing experimental new ideas, products, and services to expand our addressable market. Recent examples include launches of educational webinars, paid workshops, and a website building service. You will partner with Happiness (Customer Support), Product, Design, Development, and other company leaders to help bring new growth opportunities to market and manage them at scale.
- Serve as the Subject Matter Expert of your portfolio products. Products currently in the pipeline include global expansion to emerging markets and ancillary services supporting core products.
- Understand our customers. Develop and maintain a strong understanding of the entire customer journey. Build empathy and advocate for the customer to propose new solutions for their needs.
- Understand the market. Engage in continuous marketing research to stay abreast of our competitors and optimize our positioning.
- Manage your portfolio of products post-launch. Take ownership of ongoing performance and growth metrics after product launch and through transition to operational/maintenance state to ensure product(s) remain highly performant.
- Collaborate cross-functionally. Participate in core team decision-making, surface research and customer insights, and help define product positioning. Track launch metrics; iterate on strategy and implementation.
- Create robust and effective project plans. Ensure that projects have a clearly articulated business case, align with overall company strategy, and are appropriately scoped. Establish effective product success metrics for launch.
- Manage multiple initiatives internally and externally. Establish and maintain open communication flow between stakeholders, and shepherd projects through to completion within deadlines. Work with colleagues as well as outside vendors, resources, and partners to ensure all opportunities are well-leveraged and client and project needs are met.
- Support the development of internal processes. Implement efficient and impactful ways of working within Growth R&D, Growth Strategy, and the overall Marketing Division and possibly with counterparts in other divisions.
- 3+ years of experience in technology companies, with 1+ years experience in a marketing role. Preference for experience in project management, customer research, and product marketing.
- Strong project management and organizational skills. Capable of balancing multiple projects and goals. Detail orientation where it matters.
- A data-informed approach. Comfort analyzing substantial data sets in some areas and recommending action with minimal information in others.
- A bias toward collaboration! Passion to share your expertise with the team shows up in attention, diligence, and responsiveness.
- Have a working knowledge of web technologies, and familiarity with web content management platforms/website builders, SaaS, and open source.
- Have excellent communication skills and are an effective writer.
- Are highly self-motivated and able to work with significant autonomy.
- Have experience and enjoy working cross-functionally with Marketing, Product, Legal, and other functional teams.
- Love the open internet and all that it stands for.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1200 Automatticians in 75+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please include answers to the following questions in your cover letter:
- Briefly describe a campaign or project that you managed from beginning to end. We’re interested in learning more about your approach to project management and juggling the multiple tasks an important project requires.
- In your opinion, why would a developer or agency choose WordPress.com over other CMS/website building platforms?