Director of Payments
Automattic, the company behind WooCommerce, WordPress.com, and Jetpack, is looking for an extraordinary candidate to lead our work in payments and financial services. In this role, you will have the opportunity to dramatically expand on Automattic’s work in payments, and build new financial products to help our merchants grow their businesses.
As Director of Payments, your primary responsibilities will include:
- Leading strategy, go to market, and daily operations for Automattic’s payments products and partner integrations, with a focus on revenue growth.
- Overseeing risk management and compliance functions to ensure minimal losses.
- Identifying providers and partners, negotiating terms, executing deals, and working with the team to integrate them and oversee their long-term success.
- Conducting market research to identify, assess, and prioritize new business opportunities.
The ideal candidate:
- Has 8+ years of experience with a strong foundation developed in online payments and financial services (at online payment companies, card networks, banks, etc.), or a similar environment.
- Is deeply familiar with the economics of online payments and what drives profits and losses—and can speak in specifics to underwriting/risk management techniques, optimizing interchange fees, and compliance.
- Has a consistent record of negotiating and implementing complex deals with large organizations.
- Has strong analytical skills and the ability to model business opportunities and assess trade-offs.
- Has experience doing market and competitive research, and working cross-functionally with legal, engineering, marketing, and finance teams.
- Is highly self-motivated, able to work with significant autonomy.
We’re a distributed company with more than 700 Automatticians in 62 countries speaking 79 different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
We’re serious about growing diversity in the tech industry. We want to build Automattic as an environment where people love their work and show respect and empathy to those with whom we interact. Diversity typically includes, but is not limited to, differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socioeconomic background, cultural background, geographic location, disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age. To work on diversity means that we welcome these differences, and strive to increase the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
How to Apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ this domain telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject.
Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.