Director of Business Development
Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, and WooCommerce, is looking for an exceptional candidate to lead Business Development.
As Director of Business Development, you will identify, assess, and prioritize new business opportunities; evaluate and recommend partnerships; work with engineers to develop and manage integrations; and oversee the long-term success of partnerships at Automattic.
- Identify, negotiate, and oversee partnerships that increase the distribution of our products and generate revenue, as well as strengthen our product offering through technical integrations
- Establish the vision and goals for partnerships at Automattic, and execute on the plan for growth
- Design processes that enable the team to scale, from standardizing common deals to implementing reporting on metrics that track our progress against our goals
- Collaborate with teams across Automattic to ensure success
- Scale the partnerships function at Automattic
- 10+ years of experience, at least four of which that involve negotiating, building, and maintaining technical partnerships and integrations
- Strong quantitative/analytical skills, including the ability to model business opportunities and assess trade-offs
- Experience working cross-functionally with Legal, Engineering, and Marketing teams
- Highly self-motivated and able to work with significant autonomy
- Ability to build and scale a team
- A passion for open source technology and an understanding of CMS, SaaS, and hosting environments preferred
We’re a distributed company with 646 Automatticians in 59 countries speaking 79 different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
How to Apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ this domain telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject.
Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please include answers to each of the following questions in your email application:
- Tell us about a time you made a decision regarding whether or not to pursue a business opportunity, such as an acquisition, partnership, expansion into a new market. What decision did you make and how did you make it?
- If you were hired for this role, which partnership would you pursue first and why?
- If you ran WordPress, what would you want to focus on or change about Automattic or the WordPress.org community?