We are always developing new ways to use our data to encourage users, build new features, and analyze how well existing features are working. We host our users’ ideas, opinions, photos, and dreams — that’s lots of data spread across lots of machines.
Sound fun? It is.
Here are some skills that will come in handy:
- Great programming skills and good knowledge of both dynamic and compiled languages (especially PHP and Java).
- Experience with Open Source data systems (especially Spark, Kafka, Elasticsearch, Impala/Hive, and MySQL). Contributions to projects such as these are a plus, and future contributions are encouraged.
- Bring a Data Wrangler mindset to problems: run experiments, use statistics to evaluate results, and apply search ranking and machine learning algorithms.
- A strong understanding of distributed computing and system performance.
- Ability to take a project from idea to implementation, putting the minimal system needed into production, but with an eye on where we need to be in 5 years.
- Great troubleshooting skills.
How to Apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ this domain telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.