At Automattic, we’re pushing the boundaries of using code to improve our design processes and solutions. We believe computation is key to enabling design to scale and achieve more inclusive outcomes for people all over the world using our products.
We’re looking for a technologist driven by creativity and experimentation. Creative Technologists at Automattic combine visual design and engineering expertise into a single discipline. They are able to develop, prototype, and test innovative solutions that push our product teams forward on front-end engineering and inspire development teams and leaders to invest in new ideas.
What You’ll Do:
- Bridge design and engineering, working with developers to ensure they understand the design vision, gather requirements and functional specifications, and development planning.
- Collaborate with product designers, researchers, product managers, and engineers to provide feedback, define functional and business requirements, and produce world-class designs.
- Experiment with existing and emerging technologies to create novel solutions to problems facing our customers, design teams, and organization.
- Develop software systems and tools that make our design efforts and processes more efficient.
- Prototype and test UX / UI concepts at a variety of levels of fidelity.
- Socialize relevant software packages, APIs, and third-party technologies to find new ways to deliver interactive user experiences.
- Participate in the wider design and technology communities as an Automattic representative by attending conferences, public speaking, meetups, and more.
- Develop a deep technical understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of our products and platforms.
- Apply code craftsmanship and design support to push our design system to be first class worldwide (Muriel).
- Leverage internal and industry-accepted technology best practices to develop some of the best digital products in the world.
- A solid foundation in modern front-end technology (responsive design, cross-browser development), frameworks, and libraries.
- In addition to front-end web technology, you have an interest and/or expertise in one or more areas of software development (e.g. server-side programming, native mobile, data science, data engineering).
- Ability to assess the accessibility and performance impacts of different solutions.
- Experience as a key member of a multi-disciplinary design team, as well as a strong willingness and ability to collaborate with designers to refine user experiences.
- An eye for visual detail while maintaining code craftsmanship.
- Exceptional organization skills and able to switch between different projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong written and visual communication skills. The ability to sketch and diagram ideas, architectures, and systems is a plus.
- A passion for open-source software (bonus points for experience contributing to open-source projects).
Have you done this before?
Do you have extensive experience using code and technology to improve design processes and solutions?
If you’d like this to be your next challenge, send us your resume, a portfolio (if you have one), and answers to the following:
- Tell us why you’d be a good fit for the role.
- What is the creative technology accomplishment that you are most proud of? If relevant, sharing process, code, or demos is welcome and encouraged!
We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out.
We’re serious about growing diversity in the tech industry. We want to build Automattic as an environment where people love their work and show respect and empathy to those with whom we interact. Diversity typically includes, but is not limited to, differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socioeconomic background, cultural background, geographic location, disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age. To work on diversity means that we welcome these differences, and strive to increase the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.