Commercial Counsel/Contracts Wrangler
Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, WooCommerce, is seeking a talented contracts negotiator for our Legal team. We’re looking for someone who is an ace deal closer, gets things done with minimum friction, makes the complex seem simple, and eats contracts for breakfast.
In this role, you will:
- Structure, negotiate, and draft partnership, commercial, vendor/services, technology, and advertising/marketing agreements/transactions. Expertise in talent agreements, privacy, licensing, intellectual property, and open source issues is a plus.
- Help to build business relationships that generate revenue and strengthen our product offerings through technical integrations and expanding our sales channels.
- Design processes that enable the team to scale, such as standardizing common deal terms and agreements and coordinating business and legal positions across teams.
- Have 3-5 years experience as a contracts negotiator, lawyer, or contracts administrator at a company. A law degree is not required for this role.
- Are well-versed in issues relevant to our business, primarily: structuring and negotiating a wide variety of commercial transactions, software integrations, licensing (especially open source licenses), intellectual property, and privacy. Everything at Automattic is done on a global scale and in an international context (bonus points for breadth of experience outside of the U.S.).
- Possess an agile and curious mind. You’re not afraid to ask questions or admit when you are wrong.
- Are business-minded and very practical in addressing legal issues. We don’t write a lot of memos at Automattic; we solve problems and get things done.
- Thrive in a tech-centered environment and are adept at understanding technical and product details.
- Have a healthy sense of humor and an abiding spirit of idealism about your chosen profession.
- Operate very independently.
- Are collaborative and enjoy working with a variety of internal operational and business teams (e.g., Engineering, Marketing, and Tax).
- Recognize that law is about the grey areas and are comfortable living in them, while giving clear and actionable advice.
- Excel at understanding complex topics and explaining them to others in clear, concise terms.
- Are a great writer.
- Love the open internet and all it stands for.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1200 Automatticians in 75+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please tell us: what is your approach to negotiation, and what do you think makes a good business deal?
Also, please make sure to include at least one lawyer joke in the materials that you submit.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.