Business Development Wrangler (Legal)
In this role, you will:
- Support Automattic’s Partnerships and M&A team on the wide range of legal issues that arise in our business.
- Structure, negotiate, and draft partnership, commercial, and acquisition agreements for the Partnerships and M&A team.
- Help to build business relationships that generate revenue and strengthen our product offerings through technical integrations and expanding our sales channels.
- Design legal and business processes that enable the team to scale, such as standardizing common deal terms and agreements, and coordinating business and legal positions across the team.
- Have a JD from a US accredited law school and 3-5 years’ experience in legal practice (law firm and/or in-house).
- Are well-versed in issues relevant to our business. Primarily: Structuring and negotiating commercial partnerships and strategic transactions, software integrations, licensing (especially open source licenses), intellectual property, and privacy. Everything at Automattic is done on a global scale and in an international context; bonus points for breadth of experience outside of the US.
- Possess an agile and curious mind. You’re not afraid to ask questions or admit when you are wrong.
- Are business minded and very practical in addressing legal issues. We don’t write a lot of memos at Automattic; we solve problems and get things done.
- Thrive in a tech-centered, developer-focused environment, and are adept at collaborating with engineers and understanding technical and product details.
- Have a healthy sense of humor, and an abiding spirit of idealism about your chosen profession.
- Operate very independently.
- Are collaborative, and enjoy working with teams such as Engineering, Marketing, and Finance.
- Recognize that law is about the grey areas, and are comfortable living in them, while giving clear and actionable advice.
- Excel at understanding complex topics and explaining them to others in clear, concise, terms.
- Are a great writer.
- Love the open internet and all it stands for.
We’re a distributed company with more than 700 Automatticians in 62 countries speaking 79 different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
How to Apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ this domain telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject.
Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please make sure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please tell us: what is your approach to negotiation, and what do you think makes a good business deal?
Also, please make sure to include at least one lawyer joke in the materials you submit.