VP of Growth Engineering
As VP of Growth Engineering you will lead and expand our marketing technology (MarTech) team and our marketing technology stack at WordPress.com.
Our MarTech team works on complex engineering projects that require a wide range of skills, including backend, frontend, data pipelines, infrastructure, data science, and machine learning. Growth Engineers are full stack++ engineers.
Brainstorming growth experiments, executing A/B tests, materializing ideas, and measuring success, are also vital functions for this team. Growth Engineers work on projects that range from minor user experience improvements in our core product, to optimizing customer acquisition flows, website performance, developing new marketing tools, and maintaining existing growth platforms.
You are motivated by impact and enjoy working cross-functionally with engineers, data scientists, marketers, legal analysts, designers, and customer service teams. You are a great communicator who has prior business leadership experience, and you’re comfortable working together with and reporting to company executives.
Your style is to proactively get things done by reducing friction for your colleagues and our customers. You respond rapidly when called upon. You collaborate as an aid to our users and pride yourself in producing quality code that optimizes for marketing efficiency and growth of the business. You enjoy managing requirements, and you enjoy collaborating with members in various roles across organizations.
- Own the current state and evolution of WordPress.com’s marketing technology stack. You’ll lead a large, distributed, multi-faceted engineering team.
- Map technical feasibility of new growth experiments, and ensure technical and cross-functional alignment with other teams and key stakeholders.
- Create a strategic technical vision for our marketing technology stack, understanding where additional work is needed or where new acquisitions are required to maximize marketing efficiency and growth of the business.
- Create and manage a technical roadmap for WordPress.com’s marketing technology stack that’s aligned with WordPress.com’s growth goals.
- Hands-on experience in back-end and front-end development.
- Prior experience as head of engineering or similar senior-level position.
- Working knowledge of web technologies, and familiarity with web content management platforms/website builders, SaaS, and open source.
- A clear understanding of business fundamentals and a familiarity in working with product data and business metrics.
- Experience working cross-functionally with a wide range of teams.
- You are an excellent communicator (written and verbal), detail-oriented, very well structured, with a passion for creating processes. You are highly self-motivated and able to work with significant autonomy.
- Experience in working in a remote environment is a plus.
This role will report to our Chief Marketing Officer.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION AT AUTOMATTIC
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning.
DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to Apply
Click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Please include an answer to at least one of the following mini-challenges in your cover letter. Applicants who do not submit their cover letter will not be considered.
Mini Challenge 1
When you make a GET request to: https://public-api.wordpress.com/wpcom/v2/work-with-us with a header of
X-future: automattician you will receive a secret. What is that secret?
Mini Challenge 2
<?php $a=['Automattia','WordPresq','Jetpaci','WooCommercc']; // Add additional code that corrects the spelling of these // popular brand names using the least amount of code possible.