Senior Machine Learning Software Engineer
We are the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and Tumblr. We are looking for an experienced Python developer to join our Data Team! The role will contribute to the development and scaling of our Machine Learning pipeline, and help our marketers and developers integrate Machine Learning into their work. This position is for a top-tier Python Engineers who have knowledge or interest in Marketing or Product Analytics, experience working with data scientists, and outstanding coding practices.
You will be responsible for working on our in-house machine learning pipeline to unlock business opportunities for WordPress.com to more efficiently grow and retain its customer base. The role requires excellent engineering skills, an understanding of machine learning inputs and outputs, and the creativity to see how it can be integrated into Automattic’s processes for optimizing our products and marketing efforts.
This can involve things like:
- Write Python & SQL code to contribute to our internal ML pipeline;
- Write Python and PHP code to integrate ML outputs from our pipeline into existing tools such as Looker, our A/B testing platform, and email provider;
- Lead development of our internal ML pipeline’s API;
- Work with Marketing to implement, optimise, and evaluate ML-based email, acquisition, or nudge campaigns;
- Help developers, marketers, and product managers understand how to access, implement, and rigorously evaluate and optimise ML-based interventions.
We would love to hear from you if:
- You have 5+ years of experience in engineering and machine learning, relevant experience with marketing or product analytics is a plus;
- You are comfortable with owning complex engineering problems and architecting their solutions;
- You have experience in or are open to learning the Hadoop ecosystem;
- You have programming skills in multiple programming languages and paradigms. You will mainly rely on Hadoop/Apache ecosystem, Python, PHP, and SQL in this role;
- You have experience working on interventions or tools powered by ML;
- You can independently drive projects, document, review code, understand and collaboratively maintain large codebases;
- You are a big fan of professional software engineering methods and standards such as coding conventions, code reviews, continuous integration, build processes, and testing;
- You have strong multi-functional communication skills that help document, simplify and move sophisticated problems forward;
- You enjoy thinking about how machine learning can be used to drive business success and this type of work excites you.
Like all positions at Automattic, you’ll work remotely, and can be based wherever you live!
Diversity and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
How to Apply
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.