Senior Software Engineer, WooCommerce (Shipping)
WooCommerce is an open-source commerce platform built on top of WordPress. We believe in democratizing commerce, and making it available to as many people, in as many ways as possible. WooCommerce enables anyone to set up a store to sell physical products (amongst many other things), pretty much anywhere on earth. Shipping those products out to customers is a key part of the end to end process, and we’re investing heavily in making it a world class experience. As an open platform, we empower an entire ecosystem of developers and builders to provide custom solutions for things we can’t even dream of.
WHAT HAVE WE WORKED ON RECENTLY?
- WooCommerce Shipping is our flagship service for live rates and shipping labels for popular shipping carriers. We’re expanding quickly, adding new carriers and functionality while scaling the service up.
- Our Shipping Engineers own strategic implementations across a variety of key shipping carriers like FedEx, UPS, Australia Post, and Canada Post.
- WooCommerce Core is the most popular commerce solution, built for WordPress. It’s the foundation for everything else we do.
- To view more of our recent work, check out our longer product list on Automattic.com.
ENOUGH ABOUT US, LET’S TALK MORE ABOUT YOU. AS A SHIPPING ENGINEER YOU:
- Have worked in the shipping or fulfillment software/services industry.
- Are familiar with the shipping and fulfillment landscape or are passionate about solving problems in this space. Preferably with direct experience in shipping software solutions, ecommerce platforms, order management systems, shipping carriers or solutions in the logistics ecosystem.
- Enjoy solving problems spanning the digital and physical worlds, specifically in the shipping/logistics space.
- Have experience working on large-scale systems. Making them faster, more scalable, and fault-tolerant.
- Have demonstrated experience and interest in systems architecture.
- Are highly collaborative and love participating in code reviews and discussions about architecture, and/or design.
- Are knowledgeable about design patterns and testability; having experience with testing frameworks, performance and unit testing is very welcome.
- Experience working with shipping, rate, and tracking APIs from either carriers or third party solution providers (such as EasyPost).
- WordPress programming experience.
- Open source contributions.
- Contributions to programs designed to help underrepresented people enter the tech field.
- Experience collecting and using data to help inform product decisions.
- Good user experience instincts and product design opinions.
SPEAKING OF INTERESTS AND SKILLS, HERE ARE SOME AREAS IN WHICH YOU CAN GROW AND HAVE FURTHER IMPACT IN THE FUTURE AT THE COMPANY:
- Leadership – we offer a variety of leadership options to those who have interest, including becoming a team lead and managing releases.
- Learning and development – we have a generous personal development budget and encourage you to grow your skills through courses, books and conferences.
- Architecture – we encourage developers to develop expertise in the systems they work with, guide their evolution and mentor other developers working on them.
- Engineering effectiveness – we believe in helping other developers become more effective through tools, practices, cross-team collaborations, and process improvements.
HOW DO WE WORK?
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, deploying many times daily for hosted services, and at least monthly for on-premise/shipped software, with the help of peer code review, continuous integration, and our global workforce in over 70 countries.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
These are exciting times at Automattic and WooCommerce. You’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the future of our products. Join us! We look forward to hearing from you.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION AT AUTOMATTIC
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
Curious who works in engineering at Automattic? Meet our Code Wranglers – Brandon, Jeremy, Mark, Jennifer, Roy and Kat!
WHAT TO EXPECT
We know applying to jobs can be stressful and we want to ease the stress by giving clear expectations upfront about our process. We’ve outlined everything you need to know here including all of the steps in the process as well as how we approach hiring. We’re always iterating so if you happen to join us in the process, please feel free to offer feedback on what else we can include there!