Senior Product Manager – Ads (Tumblr)
We’ve taken a novel approach to advertising at Tumblr. Rather than being segregated in terms of look and feel or functionality, ads are first-class citizens in the Tumblr-verse, and can be acted on in the same manner as any post on the site. Any piece of content you can post on Tumblr can be promoted, liked, followed, and reblogged.
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Product Manager to help make our ads experience an even better platform of expression for our advertisers and a meaningful experience for our users in our web and mobile apps.
What You’ll Do:
- Build innovative new experiences and improve quality and consistency for our existing ad products, while keeping in mind the sensibilities of Tumblr’s user community.
- Identify key issues and organize the analysis, design, and implementation for Tumblr ads across both direct sales and programmatic.
- Improve ad performance and user engagement to bring our ad units inline with ad offerings at other social platforms.
- Identify and fill key ad product gaps with updated options such as video ads with a call-to-action overlay.
- Create customer-facing tools such as a public ads portal with related documentation and support tools for users and advertisers alike.
- Think holistically and go deep. Participate in all stages of the product development cycle from ideation through implementation and iteration.
- Develop a deep understanding of our users’ needs and communicate them to the team. Be mindful about presenting ads in ways we will be proud of.
- Define, monitor, and analyze key performance metrics for the ads experience on Tumblr, and use this data to inform the future direction.
We Are Looking For:
- Experience in creating engaging, personalized ads and related monetization or commercial experiences. Ideally in the context of online communities, apps, and websites where ads are seen alongside user-generated content.
- Ability to connect business strategies, customer needs, and available technologies to deliver best-in-class products. A good understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of advertising and online commerce approaches will be helpful.
- Experience in owning a portfolio of products, building a long-term strategy, and working with colleagues at all levels to make it happen. People leadership experience is a plus.
- A solid understanding of product development workflows and enough technical depth to successfully work with both software engineers and cross-functional teammates in design, marketing, data science, and customer support.
- Attention to creating a safe and inspiring advertising experience for our users, regardless of their income, gender, race, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of other languages and international markets is a plus.
- Excitement to join a globally distributed team. Familiarity with remote work is welcome.
This Position Might Be a Good Fit if You:
- Have a deep understanding of the current advertising landscape and a strong passion for this space.
- A heightened sense of ownership.
- Have a keen eye for data and using data effectively. Understanding of how analytics can help with product decisions.
- Want to learn and work in a distributed company.
- Strong eye for design and affection for simplicity. Knowledgeable about usability, UX design patterns, and information architecture.
- Experience with quality assurance and testing; ability to define clear plans for gathering user feedback.
These are exciting times at Tumblr and Automattic and you’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the future of our products.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to Apply:
Does this sound exciting?! If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. Let us know what you can contribute to the team!
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.