Senior Data Scientist, Tumblr Core Data Science
Tumblr launched in 2007 with the belief that people need a place to say what they want, be who they want, and connect over their interests. We continue to build out Tumblr as a platform for free expression, individuality, and human connection. That’s why we need smart, humble, funny people to keep Tumblr growing.
We are looking for a well-versed data scientist to join our Tumblr core data science team. You will contribute to Tumblr recommender systems, discovery feeds, targeted push notifications, user-interest profiling and computational advertisement. Your goal will be to design, develop and maintain large-scale machine learning algorithms, data pipelines and backend services to connect users with the content they love. Our data infrastructure is built on top of open source big data frameworks such as Apache Spark and Apache, orchestrated by Apache Airflow and with a PHP backend layer.
We’re big enough to give you the resources you need and still small enough that you can work on things that matter. Come work with us.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Apply data mining and machine learning techniques to improve personalization, recommender systems and content discovery feeds.
- Design and develop effective models, features and algorithms involving user activities and interests, blogs and posts, social graphs, etc.
- Define metrics, conduct A/B tests, and oversee statistical measurement of new algorithms and approaches.
The Data Scientist position might be a good fit if you have:
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or a related quantitative field. Master/PhD preferred.
- Strong background in statistics, machine learning, mining massive datasets.
- At least 2+ years industry experience, with a proven track of successes in solving real-world problems on large scale data.
- Solid experience in software engineering, expert in at least one among the following programming languages: Scala, Java, PHP, Python.
- Hands on experience with data processing frameworks such as Apache Spark and Flink.
- Knowledge on the following areas is considered a plus: computational advertisement, natural language processing, learning to rank, deep learning for collaborative filtering.
- You are goal driven, humble, and have equal willingness to learn and teach.
Tools we use
- Hadoop, Spark, Flink, Hive, Druid
- MySQL, Memcached, Redis
- Airflow, Kubernetes
- Looker, Pivot dashboards
- GitHub, Jira
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to apply
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. Let us know in a cover letter about your values and experience, what you’re passionate about and why you’d like to join Tumblr.
Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.