Manager, Corporate Development
We are the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, and WooCommerce and are looking for an excellent candidate to join the Strategy, Business Intelligence, and Corporate Development team. As Manager of Corporate Development, you will play a leading role in building Automattic, which will include:
- Conduct analysis and market research to identify, assess, and prioritize new investment, acquisition, and business opportunities.
- Model and evaluate potential acquisition targets and investment opportunities.
- Negotiate terms and work with our legal, finance, and operations teams to structure acquisitions and investment opportunities, which are often complex, or cross border transactions.
- Lead the execution of our deals in a smooth, efficient manner, and play a key role in the seamless integration of the teams we acquire, to set them up for long term success.
- Work closely with our internal product and business teams to develop strategy, and help identify internal opportunities to grow our company or make Automattic more efficient.
The ideal candidate:
- Has 4-6+ years of experience with a strong foundation developed in investment banking, private equity, venture capital, corporate development, or a similar analytical and financial environment.
- Has prior experience evaluating and integrating acquisition targets.
- Has strong analytical skills and the ability to model complex business opportunities and assess trade-offs.
- Is detail-oriented and meticulous, and able to build on that foundation to provide high-level insights and strategic advice.
- Is proficient in data visualization and in communicating quantitative insights.
- Is highly self-motivated, and able to work with significant autonomy.
A passion for open source technology and an understanding of CMS, SaaS, and hosting environments is preferred. If you have experience with WordPress, software development, coding, open source, or other relevant areas, don’t forget to mention it. Like all positions at Automattic, you’ll work remotely, and can be based wherever you live. A willingness to time shift at least twice per week and travel ~6 weeks a year is important. We’re a distributed team, so good communication skills are a must.
Diversity & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
How to apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ this domain telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please include answers to each of the following questions in your email application:
- What acquisition target do you think Automattic should seriously consider in 2020?
- What accomplishment in your life are particularly proud, either personal or professional?