Legal Policy & Operations Wrangler
Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and Tumblr, is seeking a talented addition to our legal team, to help us navigate a variety of issues that we come across every day.
We’re looking for a versatile team player who gets things done with minimum friction, makes the complex seem simple, and can offer strategic advice to help Automattic build and do great things for our vibrant community of users. This is the ideal role for someone who wants to shape legal and business strategy for a dynamic and rapidly growing company, while helping to make the internet a better place.
The best part about this job is its unpredictability. There are no “typical days,” and you embrace that. In this role, some of the things you might do are:
- Advise on and help teams implement solutions for a broad assortment of regulations and industry standards, with a focus on those related to intellectual property, marketing and advertising, consumer protection, terms of service, and user generated content
- Keep our terms of service and other user policies current as legal guidelines and our products change
- Help us manage our international litigation, and work with counsel in implementing our strategy and vision
- Collaborate with our Trust & Safety team on cutting edge, user-centered policies for protecting freedom of expression, user safety, and intellectual property online, along with handling requests from law enforcement.
- Protect our brand and technology through IP protection and enforcement worldwide
- Design processes that enable teams to scale, such as standardizing resources and tools for common legal issues
- Cheerfully help all Automatticians clear legal hurdles that arise in their jobs
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Have 5-10 years’ experience in a fast paced, technology centric environment. A law degree is not required for this role.
- Are well-versed in issues relevant to our business including: intellectual property, freedom of expression, UGC, consumer protection, marketing, litigation, and open source licensing. Bonus points for breadth of experience outside of the US.
- Are business minded and practical in addressing legal issues. We don’t write a lot of memos; we solve problems and get things done.
- Are humble. You’re not afraid to ask questions or admit when you are wrong.
- Have grit. What’s been most rewarding and meaningful for you professionally isn’t the work that was easiest.
- Have a healthy sense of humor, and an abiding spirit of idealism about your chosen profession.
- Operate independently. You’re a self starter who can roll up your sleeves.
- Recognize that law is about the grey areas, and are comfortable living in them, while giving clear and actionable advice.
- Are a great writer.
- Love the open internet and all it stands for.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1200 Automatticians in 75+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Like all positions at Automattic, you’ll work remotely, and can be based wherever you live. It’s not a requirement that you live in or relocate to the Bay Area to do this job.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please tell us about one or more of the following:
- A law impacting the open internet that vexes you, and how you would fix it.
- What you wish government officials and courts knew about the internet and technology.
- Something you worked on that you are especially proud of, and why it fueled your passion for work.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.