Legal Counsel – Ads, Privacy, Litigation
We are passionate about making the web a better place and our mission is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it. Our ads programs allow us to offer free services to build an online presence, and also provide our users with a way to earn revenue to support their site.
You’ll be an integral partner to our ad teams, giving strategic advice to help our ad programs continue to grow in size, impact, and revenue, and as models for programs with exceptional standards for brand safety, privacy, and user experience.
This is the ideal role for a lawyer who wants to shape legal and business strategy for a dynamic and rapidly growing company, while helping to make the internet a better place.
In this role, you will:
- Advise on a variety of compliance issues related to advertising and ad tech.
- Keep pace with laws and regulations related to advertising platforms, and educate ads teams on new developments, and how they may impact our programs.
- Structure, negotiate, and draft a variety of ad agreements.
- Help to build business relationships that generate revenue and strengthen our product offerings through technical integrations and expanding our sales channels.
- Design processes that enable the ads teams to scale, such as standardizing common deal terms and agreements and coordinating business and legal positions across teams.
- Work with our teams to protect the privacy of users and visitors.
- Partner with our ads teams on brand safety initiatives.
- Lead strategy on a variety of litigation matters, including cases involving intellectual property and ones involving freedom of expression around the globe.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Have a JD from a US accredited law school and 5-10 years’ experience in legal practice (law firm and/or in-house), and at least three years of experience in online advertising.
- Are well-versed in issues relevant to our ads program including: a deep understanding of the ad tech ecosystem; drafting and negotiating sales, operations, marketing, and partnership agreements; brand safety; and privacy. Everything at Automattic is done on a global scale and in an international context; bonus points for breadth of experience outside of the US (and the ability to win a trivia contest on ad tech acronyms).
- Are business minded and practical in addressing legal issues. We don’t write a lot of memos; we solve problems and get things done.
- Are humble. You’re not afraid to ask questions or admit when you are wrong.
- Have grit. What’s been most rewarding and meaningful for you professionally isn’t the work that was easiest.
- Have a healthy sense of humor, and an abiding spirit of idealism about your chosen profession.
- Operate independently. You’re a self starter who can roll up your sleeves.
- Recognize that law is about the grey areas, and are comfortable living in them, while giving clear and actionable advice.
- Are a great writer.
- Love the open internet and all it stands for.
Diversity & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
How to apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ this domain telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please include answers to one of the following questions:
- What concrete steps would you like to see publishers take to demystify the ad ecosystem, and explain their data practices, along with the value of online advertising, to users?
- What are the top issues a publisher should prioritize when negotiating a new agreement with a demand partner (DSP), and why are they important?
Also, please make sure to include at least one lawyer joke in the materials you submit.