Senior Software Engineer, MarTech
As a Senior Software Engineer on the marketing technology team (MarTech) you will have the opportunity to work on the mission critical marketing and technology initiatives behind WordPress.com’s traffic, conversion, and analytics efforts. Prior marketing and business experience is not required to be a developer on the marketing team, but you should be excited to learn the art and science of growing an internet business.
MarTech is the engineering arm of WordPress.com’s marketing team which gives us the opportunity to work on a wide range of projects including SEO, landing pages, sign up funnels, privacy law compliance, conversion optimization, email marketing infrastructure, tracking and analytics, the WordPress.com pricing strategy, and more. If it’s a pre-purchase customer experience, we probably own the technology that powers it.
Our technology stack is an exciting blend of widely-used frameworks and tools like WordPress, React, and Google Analytics, paired with internally-built analytics and marketing tools that meet the unique needs of WordPress.com and its millions of hosted WordPress sites.
As a Senior Software Engineer you:
- Have experience with a server-side language such as NodeJS, Go, PHP, Ruby, or Python.
- Have worked with REST APIs, and you're strong on standard methodologies for security and performance.
- Have experience using agile development tools (e.g., GitHub, Trello). You know how to break big problems down into smaller pieces. You thrive on moving items to the Done column at a healthy pace.
- Are highly collaborative, you love participating in code reviews, and you enjoy upbeat discussions about architecture, design, and user experience. You're also comfortable working with others who are not engineers.
- Love thinking about things from the customer’s perspective and trying to understand what motivates and drives decision-making through competitor research, data, customer feedback, empathy, and behavioral analysis.
- Love to experiment and tackle problems. You’re product-minded and growth-focused. You’re happy to question assumptions and back your recommendations with data.
- Startup experience; e.g., you've been a technical founder, co-founder, growth specialist, or a member of a marketing team before.
- Experience with WordPress theme and plugin development, building or supporting sites powered by WordPress, or the new WordPress editor (Gutenberg).
- Experience working extensively with structured data, schemas, or other SEO tools.
- Having worked with or as a social media marketing company, and had email marketing experience, e.g., Iterable, MailChimp, AWeber.
- Experience in paid search; e.g., Google Ads (AdWords), Bing, and working with Google Ads Scripts for automation.
- Hands-on experience with a data pipeline or analytics team, and data visualization tools.
- Experience with affiliate program software (e.g., iDevAffiliate, CJ, Impact Radius, ShareASale, WP Affiliate, etc.), or peer referral software.
What to Expect
We know applying to jobs can be stressful and we want to ease the stress by giving clear expectations upfront about our process. We’ve outlined everything you need to know here including all of the steps in the process as well as how we approach hiring.
We’re a distributed company with more than 2000 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 120+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.