We are the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, WooCommerce and Tumblr, and we are looking for a Search Wrangler to join us in developing new search APIs, integrating with our front-end applications, iterating on our existing solutions and algorithms, and to keep everything running.
How do we work?
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, deploying many times daily with the help of peer code review, continuous integration, and our global workforce in over 70 countries.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
Here are some things we’re looking for:
- Desire to build, refine and operate fast and relevant search experiences. Great troubleshooting skills to debug failures if they occur, and a systematic approach to building reliable solutions.
- Experience with Open Source search systems like Elasticsearch, Solr, or Lucene. You enjoy combining different signals to craft novel search algorithms.
- Great programming skills in both dynamic and compiled languages, especially PHP and Java/Scala.
- A deep understanding of distributed computing and system performance. You will work on scaling search systems and should be familiar with high volume indexing and querying.
- Proficiency with professional software engineering methods and standards such as coding conventions, code reviews, continuous integration, build processes, and testing.
- A desire to build a safe and inspiring search experience for our users and a passion to help everyone express their true selves, regardless of their income, gender, race, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
- Openness and ability to travel 3-4 weeks per year to meet your teammates in person. We hold an annual all-company meeting every year, and meet up with our teams for a week once or twice per year.*
Curious about who we are and what we work on? Read our blog!
Like all positions at Automattic, you’ll work remotely, and can be based wherever you live. It’s not a requirement that you live in or relocate to the Bay Area to do this job. Automattic has more than a dozen full-time global nomads!
*REGARDING COVID-19 AND TRAVEL: The current pandemic is a rapidly changing situation. Automattic is monitoring government and health agency reports closely, and responding however possible to prioritize safety and well-being for our team members and communities. Currently all company travel has been suspended.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION AT AUTOMATTIC
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to Apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.