Mobile API Software Engineer, WooCommerce
At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place. Our Apps division designs, builds, and supports our native apps for WordPress, WooCommerce, and Simplenote. As the team and userbase of the WooCommerce mobile app grow, we are looking for a Mobile API Software Engineer to develop new mobile-optimized APIs and improve our existing ones.
As a Mobile API Software Engineer in our Apps division, you will:
- Join a diverse team of Designers, and Software, Quality, and Happiness Engineers.
- Develop new APIs and improve existing ones to optimize them for our WooCommerce Mobile apps.
- Work at the crossroads of native mobile development, cross-platform development, and mobile infrastructure.
- Add additional test coverage to existing endpoints to improve reliability and resilience, possibly refactoring code while doing so to improve testability.
This position might be a good fit if you:
- Are passionate about and experienced in backend software development; in particular, advanced PHP knowledge is a plus or interest in building your skills in this area.
- Have experience optimizing APIs for mobile clients in a large-scale environment.
- Are highly collaborative and love participating in code reviews and discussions about architecture, and/or design.
- Are knowledgeable about API design patterns and testability; having experience with testing frameworks, measuring and improving performance, and PHPUnit is very welcome.
- WordPress programming experience, in particular WordPress REST API.
- Experience with developing WooCommerce plugins.
- Laravel experience.
- Experience collecting and using data to help inform product decisions.
- Good user experience instincts and product design opinions.
- Open source contributions.
- Contributions to programs designed to help underrepresented people enter the tech field.
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound interesting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Applications without these questions answered will not be considered:
- Tell us about an interesting app you’ve worked on. What made it interesting?
- How do you use our products, or their competitors? How would you improve one of them?
- What questions do you have for us?
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.