Lifecycle Marketing Manager, Day One
About the Role:
Part of the Automattic family of brands, Day One is the top-rated app for keeping a journal or diary, with over 150,000 5-star reviews globally. We are Apple's "Editor's Choice" and won the prestigious Apple Design Award and App of the Year. We have been featured in The New York Times, The Washington Post, Time, Forbes, BuzzFeed, The Verge, Wired, Huffington Post, and more.
Our focus has been on building the best journaling experience on the planet. Now we are building a Marketing team to bring that experience to as many people as possible. On this team, you will own and execute on our lifecycle marketing strategy for Day One. You will report to the Director of Growth Marketing at Day One and have the support from broader Marketing teams at Automattic.
We are looking for candidates who have deep mobile app marketing experience (push, in-app, email) and who understand how to diagnose and execute mechanics that drive engagement, retention, and monetization. As the subject matter expert for all things lifecycle marketing related, this role will work cross-functionally between product, engineering, design, and data to spearhead our lifecycle marketing strategy.
Prior to being acquired in 2021, we had only ever dabbled in marketing. Now with the backing of our parent company, we’re ready for a team fully-dedicated to driving growth and monetization in the form of paid subscribers. You’ll have the unique opportunity of starting with a clean slate, but on a business that has proven product/market fit.
- Responsible for developing, testing, and iterating on email, push, and in-app marketing strategies to drive Day One mobile app adoption. Using a variety of tactics and tools, you’ll look across channels and touch-points to drive engagement at various stages of the user journey. Determining the best time and manner to do this and how to drive app usage, will be key.
- Be a subject matter expert on cross-platform marketing - Day One is loved by users on iOS, Mac, Android, and we’ll soon be launching a web app.
- Clearly communicate strategy, plans, campaign status, and results with stakeholders regularly.
- Create and maintain a customer lifecycle test agenda and roadmap for implementation as well as analyze performance. Document findings and recommend strategic next steps.
- Collaborate with design, product, engineering, and fellow Automattic marketing teams to bring your lifecycle marketing ideas to life.
- Have 5+ years of experience in B2C lifecycle marketing with hands-on experience using marketing automation tools. Experience working on a consumer mobile app strongly preferred.
- Have successfully created tailored email, push, in-app, and SMS programs for different customer segments based on user behavior and attributes. You geek out about segmentation, handlebar logic, and personalization.
- Have marketing platform expertise - you’ll develop a comprehensive understanding of our marketing automation capabilities within ESP and improve upon current processes. Hands-on experience with using tools like Braze, Iterable, SFMC will be helpful.
- Are comfortable with data and have an innate curiosity - not only for running A/B tests and pulling reports, but also analyzing the data and communicating summaries and next steps.
- Are organized and understand how to prioritize opportunities. As our first dedicated lifecycle marketer, you’ll have a large amount of ownership and accountability for your workstream.
- Are self-sufficient and can get started with minimal direction - you’re comfortable and excited with the idea of starting from a blank slate.
- Are customer-obsessed and leverage qualitative and quantitative data on our users to guide your work.
Extra Credit if you have:
- Prior experience in freemium / subscription apps
- A coding background - SQL, HTML, CSS
- An eye for design and talent for storytelling
- Familiarity with Braze, AppsFlyer, Looker, WordPress
- A passion for journaling!
How to Apply:
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1900 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 120+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.