Head of Support, WordPress.com
We’re looking for an experienced Head of Support to lead our WordPress.com support teams. You will help us deliver high-quality, responsive support to our customers and a strong, positive environment for our team members. You’ll work directly with Automattic’s head of support and closely with peers who lead support across our various businesses.
Your style is to create order from chaos and you can calmly and flexibly respond to changing conditions. You’re comfortable being both an inspirational leader and the person who makes difficult but necessary decisions. We want you to create a positive, thriving environment for our team that also delivers great results for our business. You need to be an exceptional writer as much of our communication happens asynchronously with teammates spread across more than 90 countries.
Additionally, in this role you will:
- Guide WordPress.com’s support offering; it will be your job to decide how we support new features and when we change support for existing products.
- Work with our support operations team to deliver uninterrupted 24/7/360+ support coverage through changing conditions.
- Evaluate our support programs and make sure we strike a reasonable, healthy balance between efficiency, impact, and cost.
- Represent customers and our Happiness Engineers within a senior leadership group that sets WordPress.com’s direction as a business.
- Work with senior leadership to encourage excellent performance from our growing division of over 200+ Happiness Engineers and 20+ team leads.
- Develop a diverse and skilled leadership bench to help us grow for years to come.
The right candidate is someone who has:
- Led a large, 150+ person support team that delivers global coverage.
- Built a team that successfully handles both support and sales, helping drive both technical accuracy and revenue.
- Managed annual planning processes that bring together financial projections, staffing forecasts, and hiring estimates.
- Experienced every aspect of performance management within a team and worked closely with individual team members, leads, and partners in HR.
Proficiency with WordPress is nice to have, though not required. Bonus points if you have experience working on a distributed team or if you speak multiple languages (exceptional English fluency is required).
As a part of our fully distributed team you can live anywhere in the world. Effectiveness in this role will mean occasionally shifting hours across weekends and odd hours to best coordinate with our global team.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1900 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 120+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.