Head of Educational Experiences, WordPress.com
At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place, and making our workplace a happy place. We hope you can join us on this journey!
We are the people behind WordPress.com, Tumblr, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and more. We are looking for a strategic Head of Educational Experiences to join our team on WordPress.com. This role will focus on developing and implementing strategies to engage and educate our customers through experiential marketing opportunities.
We are looking for a candidate who has successfully led and managed event content and production focused on elevating company brand sentiment. This person will lead a team to maximize impact as follows:
- Set the vision for a strategic event program across WordPress.com and the wider company that amplifies product messaging.
- Optimize events for customer growth, revenue generation, and brand sentiment.
- Build the muscle of impact analysis to bring an analytical approach to event performance and use data insights to innovate our initiatives.
- Inspire customers by highlighting what is possible with the platform through event programming and experiences, with a focus on education and community building.
- Amplify the work of adjacent Marketing and customer success teams in Content, Growth, Support, and beyond.
- Set the key themes and takeaways for strategic event programming that helps people navigate ongoing improvements to the WordPress platform, including mastery of the Gutenberg block editor and ongoing feature releases.
- Maximize our investments to drive measurable results and outcomes that support the team's overall objectives with quantifiable results across all sponsorships and events.
- Coordinate and oversee all initiatives including program management, content development, speaker outreach, and logistics to ensure we deliver clear objectives and takeaways from experiential marketing.
- Strive for operational excellence across all aspects of event production and programming including source, negotiate with, and lead outside vendors and contracts, produce and distribute pre-event gifts/materials, and forecast, manage, and reconcile event budgets, including revenue generated.
- Keep an eye on the bigger picture to ensure that all events and programming are held to a high-quality standard and will keep a pulse on industry trends and developments to establish Automattic as a leader in both live and virtual events.
- Manage and mentor a team to create development opportunities for a team of event professionals.
- Multi-Tasking & Prioritization – Establish and maintain open communication flow between partners, and shepherd projects through to completion within deadlines. Work with colleagues as well as outside vendors, resources, and partners to ensure all opportunities are well-leveraged and customer and project needs are met.
- Communication – Ability to express complicated concepts in an easy to understand way, with experience building alignment between and demonstrating value to a variety of partners and customers, using excellent written and oral communication styles. Listens to and considers alternative perspectives to identify the optimal path forward. Experience guiding, developing and writing compelling copy for program materials, landing pages, ads, and/or emails.
- Leadership – Mentors the team for continued professional development. Uplifts the morale with a positive mentality and helping team members to hone in and double down on their most impactful work. Clearly communicates vision, strategy, and expectations. Love of learning is a huge plus!
- Project Management – Implements efficient and impactful systems for accountability across teams and drives initiatives forward to completion, while measuring estimated vs. actualized impact. Builds bridges across the company, advocating for the team’s goals and projects as we collaboratively build out a seamless customer experience. Encourages all team members to hone this skill as part of their responsibilities
- Collaboration: Represents the goals, projects, and needs of the team across the Marketing division and wider business. Collaborates closely with content, creative, growth, engineering, and leadership to amplify our collective efforts.
- Nice to have: Understanding and knowledge of the WordPress ecosystem is a big advantage, including but not limited to having built websites on the WordPress platform, being a member of the WordPress community, and/or understanding the various products and tools within the Automattic portfolio.
How to Apply
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Please include an answer to the following question in your cover letter:
- What was the impact of the most successful event you have organized?
Applicants who do not submit their cover letter with their answer will not be considered.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.