Education Experience Manager, WordPress.com
At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place, and making our workplace a happy place. We hope you can join us on this journey!
We are the people behind WordPress.com, Tumblr, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and more. We are looking for a strategic Event Experience Manager to join our team on WordPress.com. This role will focus on contributing to strategy and thoughtful implementation to engage and educate our customers through experiential marketing opportunities.
We’re looking for a candidate bringing a wealth of experience in event programming and production in both online and in-person formats. This person will be an individual contributor as well as collaborate with a team to maximize impact as follows:
- Produce events and sponsorship activations that amplify product messaging.
- Optimize events as a channel to acquire new and incremental customers and a source for non-plan revenue.
- Inspire customers by highlighting what is possible with the platform through content and experiences, with a focus on education and community building.
- Drive global growth and product awareness by developing regional and/or country-specific events as well as vertically focused events.
- Contribute to developing an overall approach and defining goals for key virtual and/or live events that drive measurable results and outcomes in support of the teams overall objectives -- including acquisition, non-plan revenue, sentiment, etc.
- Develop and curate event programming that helps people navigate ongoing improvements to the WordPress platform, including mastery of the Gutenberg block editor and ongoing feature releases.
- Implement initiatives for sponsorships and owned events, such as large-scale customer conferences, vertical or regionally focused events, and company-wide internal meetups, by owning program management, content development, speaker outreach, and logistics to ensure we deliver clear objectives and takeaways from experiential marketing.
- Coordinate attendee logistics and communications pre, during, and post-event; determining opportunities for on-going communication to continue engagement.
- Support the team with Automattic events and customer education throughout the year across all of our products. This could include staffing the event on show days, or leading a piece of the production during the lead-up through execution and wrap-up.
- Multi-Tasking & Prioritization – Establish and maintain open communication flow between key partners, and shepherd projects through to completion within deadlines. Work with colleagues as well as outside vendors, resources, and partners to ensure all opportunities are well-leveraged and customer and project needs are met.
- Decision Making – Shows complexity in thought when considering resource tradeoffs in the pursuit of measured business impact. Can procure supporting data to make informed decisions.
- Communication – Ability to express complicated concepts in easy to understand methods, with excellent written and verbal communication styles. Listens to and considers alternative perspectives to identify the most efficient path forward. Experience developing, writing, and guiding in-house creative on the execution of compelling copy for program materials, landing pages, ads, and/or emails.
- Project Management – Implements efficient and impactful systems for accountability across teams, drives initiatives forward to completion, and measures estimated vs. actualized impact. All team members are encouraged to hone this skill as part of their responsibilities.
- Collaboration: Collaborates closely with content, creative, growth, engineering, and support team members to amplify our collective efforts to craft a seamless user success experience.
- Knowledge of the WordPress Ecosystem: Understanding and knowledge of the WordPress ecosystem, including but not limited to having built websites on the WordPress platform, being a member of the WordPress community, and/or understanding the various products and tools within the Automattic portfolio.
How to Apply
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Please include an answer to the following question in your cover letter:
- What was the impact of the most successful event you have organized?
Applicants who do not submit their cover letter with their answer will not be considered.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.