Director of Developer Product - WooCommerce
WooCommerce is an open-source commerce platform built on top of WordPress. We believe in democratizing commerce, and making opportunity available to everyone, everywhere, in as many ways as possible. WooCommerce enables anyone to set up a physical or digital goods store, to sell products or subscriptions, to sell their time, or just about anything else, pretty much anywhere on earth. As an open platform, we empower an entire ecosystem of developers and builders to provide custom solutions for things we can’t even imagine.
We are looking for someone to lead one of our core engineering groups, responsible for the direction and delivery of our open source foundational product. If you are the right person for this role, you have worked in or with OSS communities full of passionate developers and entrepreneurs. You’re a seasoned engineering leader with a strong product sense and deep understanding of the e-commerce space, who can help articulate (both internally and externally) a compelling vision for the software which powers over 1 in 4 online stores (according to BuiltWith).
- Drive the vision, strategic direction, and roadmap for our core platform and developer products with a focus on developer experience, security, stability, scalability, and extensibility.
- Directly lead and scale our three core product/platform engineering, DevOps, and quality/testing, teams.
- Talk to our customers and open source/developer community to understand their most important needs. Use interviews, internal data, market feedback, and your intuition to identify the most valuable problems worth solving. Maintain product and discovery backlogs. Validate product direction through testing and MVPs, then invest in what works.
- Successfully launch new features, with a constant focus on growing adoption and updates for existing stores.
- Rally team input and multi-functional alignment through regular planning processes. Maintain an efficient cadence for collaborating with other leaders throughout the product life cycle. Advocate for projects, secure the right resources for success, and work with leadership when goals are at risk.
- Own product performance, track metrics, and report progress.
- Ensure timely delivery of high quality releases.
- Form part of the senior engineering leadership group of WooCommerce, where you will cultivate a culture of excellence across our entire engineering org.
- Help hire and retain the right people to work in this unique environment.
- Grow and develop the careers of your team members.
- Keep abreast of the WordPress ecosystem (on which we are based), and keep WooCommerce aligned with advances and opportunities there.
- Experience leading multiple teams in an engineering or product management context.
- 7+ years of experience in engineering and product management in the e-commerce space.
- Experience working with or in open source software communities.
- Deep product and customer understanding/motivation.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills. This role is central to our entire business and ecosystem, so it’s essential you can work with other functions like Marketing and Sales, while also collaborating with our commercial product groups and external open source community.
We’re a distributed company with more than 2000 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 120+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.