Director of Customer Acquisition, WordPress.com
About the role:
At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place, and making our workplace a happy place. We hope you can join us on this journey!
We are the people behind WordPress.com, Tumblr, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and more. We are looking for a motivated and analytical marketing leader to join our team on WordPress.com. This role will focus on developing and implementing paid media strategies to acquire, convert, and monetize customers.
We want this candidate to have deep marketing knowledge and understand how to diagnose and execute mechanics that drive growth. The successful candidate will have a proven history of creating and scaling new paid media campaigns across a number of platforms, campaign types, and targeting methods. We strongly prefer a candidate with experience managing campaigns for a well-known brand that has a high volume of brand search as well as a wide range of relevant non-brand searches.
As a marketing leader, this person will need to act as an individual contributor as well as mentor a team of full-stack marketers to maximize impact as follows:
- Acquire new and incremental customers within desired cost guardrails
- Improve conversion rate through funnel optimization and message testing
- Optimize paid channel performance for scale and CPA efficiency
- Collaborate and share learnings with email, creative, social, and organic search teams
- Expand revenue via targeted upsell and incentive uplift of our free user base
- Discover new sources of growth by testing new ads, funnels, and marketing channels
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Develop, test, and iterate on marketing strategies to drive new users, convert free users to paid subscriptions, and to grow revenue from existing users. You’ll need to understand the full funnel, all the different marketing touchpoints, key messaging and value propositions, and customer audiences to pull together the most impactful strategies.
- Create and validate data-informed positioning, messaging, and customer segmentation strategies.
- Own and execute on your ideas – from crafting the messaging to building campaigns.
- Measure and track behaviors using a variety of internal and third-party tools. Provide detailed reporting on the impact of your growth marketing efforts.
- Drive measurable impact in conversion and sign-up rates through funnel optimization, testing, and experimentation.
- Partner with other Marketing, Product, Design and Data teams to understand our users, our product, and the best ways to get the right message to the right user at the right time.
- Use your elite PM skills to lead development roadmaps, testing, and/or experimentation of new product features, internal marketing tools, and integrations with 3rd party platforms/tools as needed.
- Culture a spirit of fun and growth amongst your peers across teams.
Deep expertise in the following areas will be vital for success in this role:
Channel Expertise - Should have deep experience developing and scaling direct response paid campaigns across a number of channels, including SEM, paid social, and display. Bonus points for experience with YouTube, native ad platforms, email networks, and other less common or newer channels.
Analytical Capabilities: Own and develop the measurement framework of how our growth strategies are impacting the business. You will report on the performance, measure attribution, measure estimated vs. actualized impact, and overall incremental impact to the WordPress.com business.
Communication - Should have excellent writing skills. listens to and considers alternative perspectives to identify the optimal path forward. Experience writing compelling copy for landing pages, ads, and/or emails.
Leadership - Mentors the team for continued professional development. Uplifts the morale of the team with a positive mentality. Love of learning is a huge plus!
Project Management - Develops systems for accountability across teams and drives initiatives forward to completion, and measures estimated vs. actualized impact. All team members are encouraged to hone this skill as part of their responsibilities.
Nice to have: Understanding and knowledge of the WordPress ecosystem is a plus, including but not limited to having built websites on the WordPress platform, being a member of the WordPress community, and/or understanding the various products and tools within the Automattic portfolio.
How to Apply:
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
We’re a distributed company with more than 2000 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 120+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.