Director of Brand, Creative and Communications
At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place and making our workplace a happy place. We hope you can join us on this journey to support our contributions to the open-source WordPress project!
WordPress is a free and open-source content management system that powers over 40% of the web. The WordPress project is supported by a vibrant community of volunteers who are passionate about open-source technology. We are looking for someone to join our Automattic team, as a Director of Brand Marketing and Communications, dedicated to the WordPress open-source software project.
We prefer that the candidate have roots in the WordPress ecosystem and understand the dynamics of open-source software development.
The successful candidate will own how our brand shows up in the world across all touch points and serve as our lead external and internal storyteller. You will be responsible for helping to drive our brand equity toward the end of facilitating the adoption of WordPress software and attracting new contributors and end-users. Specifically, you will leverage community and end-user insights to drive key brand and content initiatives, press and communications, and creative across paid and organic channels. You are a top collaborator, relationship-builder, scrappy thinker, and inspirational leader.
What you'll do:
- Become an internal expert on our target audience and core segmentation.
- Help evolve and maintain the brand voice and visual identity of the WordPress brand across all touchpoints.
- Lead the development and refinement of brand messages that resonate with target segments by bringing positioning and brand identity strategies to life.
- Help ensure consistent messaging and visual storytelling across all platforms, audiences (e.g., community, end-user, and media) and activity.
- Lead the creative process from ideation through final product for key initiatives and campaigns.
- Maintain expert creative knowledge of all media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, and other relevant platforms.
- Experience with developer communications preferred.
- Help ensure that the brand vision is achieved.
What you need to be successful:
- Proven brand experience with a multidisciplinary skill set across a wide range of community and end-user touch points, both offline and online.
- Direct-to-end-user creative experience preferred.
- Experience leading brand messaging, communications, brand campaigns, and unique brand initiatives that have driven measurable brand equity.
- Be a data-driven storyteller. You thrive on winning hearts and minds, and your messaging strategies are insight and data-driven. You know that stellar creative is defined through the delivery of business results and can prove the value of your team's work.
- A forward-thinking mindset. You're always up-to-date on the most important market trends and proactively bring breakthrough ideas to the table. You have an innate ability to see and plan for what's coming next.
- Ability to thrive in an environment where consistently leveling-up is the norm and get excited about solving complex issues in new ways.
- A strong eye towards developing brand equity, and are able to coach and nurture teams towards a high standard of excellence.
- To value relationships and effectively manage conflict to deliver positive outcomes.
- Able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Highly driven and proactive.
- Strong project management skills.
HOW TO APPLY
Click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what makes you a good fit for the position and how you can contribute to the team.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.