Brand Copywriter, WordPress.org
At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place and making our workplace a happy place.
We are looking for someone to join our team as a Brand Copywriter focused on the WordPress open source software project.
An understanding of the dynamics of open source software development and the WordPress ecosystem is preferred.
The successful candidate will be responsible for capturing the essence of the WordPress Brand in a compelling, captivating, and concise manner crafted to increase top-of-the-funnel and other activity, influence the platform decision process, and delight existing users/contributors. This position advocates for consistent application of the WordPress voice and tone across all communication channels and ensures that all user-facing work products created by the Marketing & Communications Department meet brand standards.
What you’ll do:
- Craft distinctive copy that communicates, underscores, and brings the WordPress value proposition to life for prospective and current users and contributors.
- Use research to develop and write/copyedit persuasive, behavior-based copy for the brand, product, email, and social media campaigns; product launches; paid ads, and other content that generates user/contributor engagement.
- Facilitate the management of the brand strategy, voice, and tone guideline process.
- Serve as the brand voice, tone, and personality authority.
- Review and edit marketing department content for brand compliance.
- Collaborate with marketing department colleagues to optimize content.
- Help drive top-of-the-funnel activity and increase consideration across key target audiences.
We’d love to talk with you if you have:
- Bachelor's Degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing, or related field (preferred).
- 5+ years of writing experience in-house and or with a creative agency.
- Strong copywriting background and skills.
- Skilled at writing brand/product messages, positioning, and brand/marketing copywriting for digital ads, video, social media, and email.
- Knowledge and understanding of performance/growth marketing.
- Ability to leverage data-driven insights to inform copy/content.
- Creative problem solver when it comes to thinking outside of the box and working within design constraints.
- Experience working for a tech company, start-up, or client-side communications.
- Ability to read and process a creative brief, ask critical questions that help you find the efficient solution, and build to the project goals.
- Able to write quickly, iterate on multiple concepts, and can incorporate feedback from multiple cross-functional partners.
- Clear communicator, verbally and visually.
- Flexible with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates a high dedication to quality.
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills.
- Excellent collaboration skills.
How to apply
Does this sound compelling? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out by submitting a cover letter to help us understand how your experience and career goals align with this role and why you're excited about joining Automattic!
We’re a distributed company with more than 1800 Automatticians in 90+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.