Human (Resources) Operations Magician
Would you like to take part in building the future of our distributed workforce? Automattic is a place like no other: our fast-growing team of 1300+ works from home (or any other location they choose), in one of 75+ countries, to democratize publishing and make the web a better place. Check out our Work With Us page for more info on how we work, our development process, and benefits.
The Human League (externally known as HR) team’s goal is to ensure our company is the best place Automatticians have ever worked, making each person feel welcomed, included, valued, and respected. Our mission is to be thought leaders by building and supporting a globally distributed, diverse, authentic, and inclusive workforce, where Automatticians can thrive. We are looking for a Human (Resources) Operations Magician to help support our team and Automatticians at large. Currently we are only considering applicants in the UTC+ time zones (ideally UTC to UTC+9), in order to provide the most widespread support to Automatticians.
This a high-volume administrative support role. This role requires a strong support philosophy and the ability to complete detailed administrative tasks with a high degree of accuracy. You’ll play a key part in ensuring that trials, consultants, and new hires across Automattic have a positive onboarding and offboarding experience. You’ll also be empowered to initiate and lead projects to create or optimize internal processes—we love and encourage innovation!
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Completing new hire, trial, and consultant administrative onboarding and offboarding
- Updating internal systems to reflect changes in our organizational structure
- Responding to verification of employment requests
- Performing hiring screenings and background checks
- Assigning mentors to new hires
- Planning and coordinating the logistics for leadership training workshops with the Human League and external partners
- Conducting data audits and maintaining updated and organized records
- Tracking leaves and coordinating with our external leave administration partners
- Providing benefits open enrollment support
- Partnering with the Human League and other teams on projects and initiatives
- Proposing, designing, and implementing new or improved processes to increase efficiency (in coordination with the Human League team)
- Answering questions from Automatticians around the globe
- A kind, courteous, and a highly effective communicator with strong skills in English. Here’s what we expect from ourselves.
- Experienced and passionate about providing human-friendly support: simple, clear, straightforward, inclusive, and not overly complicated (2 years experience in an administrative support role is ideal).
- Incredibly precise in your work and committed to a job well done, down to the smallest detail.
- Sincere, transparent, and accountable: You share information, questions, and concerns proactively.
- Experienced or able to have sound judgement working with confidential and sensitive information.
- Experienced managing multiple priorities simultaneously; Able to effectively triage and prioritize high-volume and often competing requests.
- Effective in completing routine and repetitive tasks, while improving ways of working to optimize time spent doing tasks.
- Experienced and passionate about building elegant, simple, automated solutions that keep operations running smoothly.
- Experienced or able to embrace a healthy feedback culture by both sharing and responding constructively to feedback.
- Technologically savvy – you’re able to pick up on new technologies, software, and systems easily.
- Desire to learn and grow in the HR field
- Desire to learn and experiment with new processes and technologies
- Experience working in a remote/distributed environment, or with remote team members
- Experience working with team members across multiple countries, cultures, and/or time zones
- Experience using WordPress (most of our systems are based on WordPress)
- Experience or passion for working in dynamic and fast-paced environments
We are looking to expand our team and aim to reflect and expand on the diversity of Automatticians currently working with us. At Automattic, we value diversity and know that different perspectives will ensure our team is innovative and creative thinking.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1300 Automatticians in 75+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. You will need to attach a cover letter and résumé. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so make your application stand out.
Please answer the following questions in your application (applications without this information will not be reviewed):
- How do you define supporting a team?
- What is your favorite tool to keep you organized and why?
- You’re planning a virtual leadership workshop. How do you plan it and what do you do to be as inclusive as possible?
- Tell us about a time when you had to juggle multiple responsibilities. What was the situation and how did you approach your workload?
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.