Director of Product and Engineering – Shipping (WooCommerce)
WooCommerce is an open-source, completely customizable ecommerce platform for businesses worldwide. We are passionate about democratizing commerce and allowing businesses of all sizes, who sell anywhere, to ship anywhere. We go beyond the confines of traditional ecommerce solutions. We’re building a platform that not only gives shoppers a great experience, but also helps businesses grow, and which is only limited by a merchant’s own imagination.
As WooCommerce continues to grow, we’re looking for a Director of Product and Engineering to help bring to market a fully capable shipping and fulfillment service. Success here is important to achieving our mission. We’re looking for a seasoned Engineering leader who has a depth of experience in this space who can bring vision, strategy, and planning to the product and help us differentiate ourselves from competitors. This person will play a pivotal role in building this area of the business and moving the needle forward for WooCommerce’s product offering, ensuring we stay ahead of the market.
This could be your opportunity to continue building and accelerating the growth of our shipping and fulfilment capabilities. With the sheer potential and reach of WooCommerce, you could be directly impacting how millions of people do their shopping online.
What you’ll do:
- Leverage your domain expertise, skills and experience in shipping and fulfilment to build a competitive advantage and vision for our product. Continue to have a finger on the pulse in terms of what our competitors are doing.
- Help craft, define, and drive technical and product roadmaps across shipping and fulfilment related projects, to ensure we’re meeting the needs of our customers and our business goals, while delivering maintainable and scalable solutions.
- Be a subject matter expert for shipping and fulfillment in WooCommerce.
- Responsible for prioritization, coordination, execution and operations of Engineering teams.
- Monitor engineering execution and delivery across teams, identifying risks and solutions, and driving improvements in product delivery culture with engineers and team leads.
- Improve build, test, and release processes in a hybrid on-premise and SaaS environment to make sure we’re delivering value to our merchants consistently, and at high quality.
- Instilling high performance, customer centric culture and norms that align with Woo and Automattic.
- Changing and coordinating engineering team structures, reallocating or splitting work to balance competing priorities across teams and growing those teams.
- Assist engineering team leads in the creation, iteration and implementation of onboarding for new Engineers and on-going professional development processes for junior developers and senior engineers.
- Work cross functionally and bridge the communication gap between the engineering teams, customer support, design, and merchants.
- Be involved in technical partnership conversations regarding integrations and APIs.
- Contribute in the evaluation of technology suppliers.
- Take a data-informed approach to understanding product usage, adoption funnels, churn, growth metrics and feedback from multiple channels (user feedback, customer support feedback, product ambassador feedback, research and testing) to inform changes and improvements.
This position might be a good fit if you:
- Have deep, extensive experience in the shipping and fulfillment landscape or are passionate about solving problems in this space. Preferably with direct experience in shipping software solutions, ecommerce platforms, order management systems, shipping carriers or solutions in the logistics ecosystem
- Are a seasoned technical lead who wants to provide a modern experience to legacy systems, with vast commercial potential and scale.
- Have a strong growth mindset and the ability to grow leaders.
- Are not afraid to suggest radical changes, implement and drive new ideas.
- Are brave, confident, vision driven.
- Have experience prioritizing work based on skills / bets / features and breaking down the product development across different sprints, cycles, and phases.
- Have experience working with web based client-side applications, modern JS applications, and on API integrations and development.
- Have a strong understanding of web-based software, client server architectures, systems architecture, and have the ability to give sound advice on technical decision making.
- Have experience growing technical leaders and distilling strong leadership values.
- Have strong reasoning and problem solving skills.
- Have worked cross-functionally across product, design, support, marketing and partners.
- Have strong communication, stakeholder management, and cross-collaboration skills.
- Understand what’s involved in building scalable systems.
- Have experience with A/B testing, feature testing.
Speaking of interests and skills, here are some areas in which you can grow and have further impact in the future at the company:
- Leadership – As a leader within the business, you will have the scope to continue to grow your abilities in this space, alongside a strong group of Engineering Directors and leaders.
- Learning and development – we have a generous personal development budget and encourage you to grow your executive leadership skills further through courses, books, conferences and professional business coaching sessions.
- Architecture – we encourage you to flex your expertise in systems architecture and scalable systems – helping to guide its evolution at Automattic and mentor other developers working on them.
- Engineering effectiveness – be a pioneer in helping other developers, leaders and our Product area become more effective through tools, practices, cross-team collaborations, and process improvements.
These are exciting times at Automattic and you’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the future of our products. Join us! We look forward to hearing from you.
How to apply!
Does this sound interesting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please include answers to the following questions in your cover letter:
- What are some interesting trends you’ve noticed in the shipping and fulfilment space?
- What is your engineering management philosophy?
- What questions do you have for us?
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.