Director of Growth Marketing, WordPress.com
At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place, and making our workplace a happy place. We hope you can join us on this journey!
We are the people behind WordPress.com, Tumblr, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and more. We are looking for a motivated and analytical Growth Marketing Leader to join our team on WordPress.com. This role will focus on developing and implementing strategies to acquire, convert, and monetize customers.
We want this candidate to have deep technical marketing knowledge and understand how to diagnose and execute mechanics that drive growth. As a Growth Marketing leader, this person will need to act as an individual contributor as well as mentor a team of full-stack marketers to maximize impact as follows:
- Acquire new and incremental customers within desired cost guardrails
- Improve conversion rate through funnel optimization and message testing
- Optimize channel performance for paid media, email, referral, organic and more
- Expand revenue via targeted upsell and incentive uplift of our free user base
- Discover new sources of growth by testing new marketing channels
- Drive global growth by developing regional and/or country specific growth tactics and strategies
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Develop, test, and iterate on growth marketing strategies to drive new users, convert free users to paid subscriptions, and to grow revenue from existing users. You’ll need to understand the full funnel, all the different marketing touchpoints, key messaging and value propositions, and customer audiences to pull together the most impactful strategies.
- Create and validate data-informed positioning, messaging, and customer segmentation strategies.
- Own and execute on your ideas – from crafting the messaging to building campaigns.
- Measure and track behaviors using a variety of tools. Provide detailed reporting on the impact of your growth marketing efforts.
- Drive measurable impact in conversion and sign-up rates through funnel optimization, testing, and experimentation.
- Partner with other Marketing, Product, Design and Data teams to understand our users, our product, and the best ways to get the right message to the right user at the right time.
- Use your elite PM skills to lead development roadmaps, testing, and/or experimentation of new product features, internal marketing tools, and integrations with 3rd party platforms/tools as needed.
- Culture a spirit of fun and growth amongst your peers across teams.
Deep expertise in the following areas will be vital for success in this role:
Technical Knowledge – Proficiency of financial, mathematical and science based concepts for marketing applications, such as experiment design and incrementality testing. Strong analytical skills for funnel analysis and cohort-based performance reporting are essential. Technical skills around SQL preferred. Bonus points for experience with WordPress, GA (Google Analytics), PHP, CSS, HTML, etc.
Channel Expertise – Should have a breadth of experience across multiple marketing channels including, but not limited to: SEO, SEM, CRO/LPO, paid media (social and display), and email lifecycle marketing.
Analytical Capabilities: own and develop the measurement framework of how our growth strategies are impacting the business. You will report out on the performance, measure attribution, measure estimated vs. actualized impact, and overall incremental impact to the WordPress.com business.
Decision Making – Shows complexity in thought when considering resource tradeoffs in the pursuit of measured business impact. Acts as a highly strategic and inspirational leader within the team and among cross-functional partners. Can procure supporting data to make informed decisions. Familiarity with prioritization frameworks a plus.
Communication – Ability to express complicated concepts in easy to understand method, with excellent written, oral, and illustrative communication styles. Listens to and considers alternative perspectives to identify the optimal path forward. Experience writing compelling copy for landing pages, ads, and/or emails.
Leadership – Mentors the team for continued professional development. Uplifts the morale of the team with a positive mentality. Love of learning is a huge plus!
Project Management – Develops systems for accountability across teams and drives initiatives forward to completion, and measures estimated vs. actualized impact. All team members are encouraged to hone this skill as part of their responsibilities.Nice to have: Understanding and knowledge of the WordPress ecosystem is a plus, including but not limited to having built websites on the WordPress platform, being a member of the WordPress community, and/or understanding the various products and tools within the Automattic portfolio.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1200 Automatticians in 75+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION AT AUTOMATTIC
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Please include an answer to the following question in your cover letter:
- If you could only pick one growth tactic to help WordPress.com acquire more customers, what would it be and why?
Applicants who do not submit their cover letter with their answer will not be considered.