Director of Growth Marketing, Lifecycle, WordPress.com
At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place, and making our workplace a happy place. We hope you can join us on this journey!
We are the people behind WordPress.com, Tumblr, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and more. We are looking for an elite Growth Marketing Leader, with a depth of experience in Lifecycle Marketing, to drive growth and engagement for WordPress.com.
As a leader on the Growth Marketing team, you will be a full-stack growth marketer with a breadth and depth of experience across the funnel and marketing channels, and have extensive experience driving significant growth from your growth marketing strategies and tactics. Additionally, you’ll be the subject matter expert for all things lifecycle, email, and engagement marketing.
- You will drive the strategy and execute a cohesive multi-channel onboarding and lifecycle strategy for WordPress.com to interact with our users throughout their user journey and develop efficient ways to present the right information to the right user at the right time.
- Own auditing existing campaign performance, launching experiments, identifying areas for opportunity and optimization based on customer insights and campaign analysis.
- Be the subject matter authority on lifecycle and email marketing. Ideally this person will also have experience developing, optimizing and executing multi-channel lifecycle marketing strategies including email, in-app, push notifications, sms, etc.
- Partner with MarTech, Product and Data teams to ensure we are building in-house tools and systems to accurately scale our lifecycle marketing capabilities while ensuring that we are able to accurately track and measure performance of campaigns and tactics.
- Play a key role as PM on the internal lifecycle marketing platform we are building to guide the development and roadmap for this important tool to not only ensure that we can do what we need to do today, but that we are set up to execute on lifecycle strategies we want to implement months/years from now.
- Represent the overall lifecycle marketing strategy in weekly meetings with the broader marketing team, cross-functional partners, and Finance. Be capable of answering performance related questions and troubleshooting issues that may arise as we expand our efforts amongst these channels.
- Work closely with other teams across the organization to map out the customer journey while ensuring our touchpoints are cohesive, clear, consistent, and compelling. As we roll out new touchpoints, make sure that they are incorporated into the overall journey to build an experience that is optimized for our users.
- Build out a team of high caliber growth marketers, as needed, to scale our lifecycle marketing efforts.
Experience in the following areas will be vital for success in this role:
Technical Knowledge – Proficiency of financial, mathematical and science based concepts for marketing applications, such as experiment design and incrementality testing. Strong analytical skills for campaign analysis and cohort-based performance reporting are essential. Experience leading the implementation of 3rd party marketing automation software and/or building in-house email / lifecycle marketing tools. Hands-on experience and knowledge of HTML, CSS, etc.
Channel Expertise – Deep expertise with email and lifecycle marketing tactics across web, mobile, and apps. While not required, we love for all members of the Growth Marketing team to have experience across multiple channels including but not limited to: SEO, SEM, LPO/CRO, and paid media (social and display). We look for Growth Marketing leaders who have experience across the funnel and across functional areas.
Decision Making – Shows complexity in thought when considering resource tradeoffs in the pursuit of measured business impact. Acts as a highly strategic and influential leader within the team and among cross-functional partners. Can procure supporting data to make informed decisions.
Communication – Ability to express complicated concepts in easy to understand methods, with excellent written, oral, and illustrative communication styles. Listens to and considers alternative perspectives to identify the most efficient path forward. Should have excellent copywriting skills and be willing to roll up your sleeves to help write email, landing page, and other customer messaging.
Project Management – Develop systems for accountability across teams, drive initiatives forward to completion, and measure estimated vs. actualized impact. All team members are encouraged to hone this skill as part of their responsibilities.Nice to have: Understanding and knowledge of the WordPress ecosystem is a plus, including but not limited to having built websites on the WordPress platform, being a member of the WordPress community, and/or understanding the various products and tools within the Automattic portfolio.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1200 Automatticians in 75+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to apply
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Please include an answer to the following question in your cover letter:
- Can you share how you’ve used user data, machine learning, and/or segmentation to create highly personalized and targeted lifecycle workflows and what impact it had on your business?
Applicants who do not submit their cover letter with their answer will not be considered.