Director of Engineering, Ads (Tumblr)
We’ve taken a novel approach to advertising at Tumblr. Rather than being segregated in terms of look and feel or functionality, ads are first-class citizens, and like any other piece of content can be promoted, liked, followed, and reblogged. Tumblr is a creative platform, and we believe that creative, high-quality ads can and should be an important part of our ecosystem.
We’re looking for an experienced product leader to help make our ads experience an even better platform of expression for our advertisers and a meaningful experience for our users in our web and mobile apps.
What you’ll do:
- Drive growth for direct-sold and programmatic ads products on Tumblr. Discover new avenues for growth.
- Own our strategy and roadmap to connect people with the ads and brand partners that are most relevant to them. Be mindful about presenting quality content and impacting our users in ways we will be proud of. Get colleagues at all levels on board with your vision.
- Be part of a leadership group responsible for meeting Tumblr’s business needs. Influence business decisions with quantitative and qualitative insights, leveraging your experience and empathy for users. Form relationships with leaders from Design, Data, and Business to ensure your team has the resources to make an impact at Tumblr.
- Work closely with various teams across Tumblr and Automattic to improve all aspects of advertising from self-serve and campaign trafficking tools to monitoring and reporting/insights to quality and user experience.
We are looking for:
- Experience in creating engaging, personalized, and effective ads experiences, ideally ones that leveraged interest targeting to display alongside user-generated content.
- The ability to connect business strategies, customer needs, and available technologies to deliver best-in-class products.
- Experience in owning a portfolio of products on different platforms, building a long-term strategy, and working with colleagues at all levels and of all disciplines to make it happen.
- Knowledge of native and programmatic digital advertising technologies, industry trends, and business models. Technically grounded enough to understand how data models and the underlying system architecture come together for stability and scalability.
- Awareness of current internet technologies, including how web/mobile applications are designed, built, and deployed at scale. Familiar enough to guide engineering teams to make tradeoffs for prioritization and scoping projects correctly.
- Strong organizational, cultural, and people leadership skills. You are a strong cross-team collaborator, able to effectively work with teams across multiple departments, time zones, and functions.
- Attention to creating a safe and inspiring content experience for our users, regardless of their income, gender, race, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
- Excitement to join a globally distributed team. Familiarity with remote work is welcome.
How we work at Automattic
We’re a global, distributed workforce in over 70 countries. We value open source, prioritize transparent communication, believe that good ideas can (and do) come from anywhere, so we encourage Automatticians to work together across positions and roles. Together we create, develop, and care for a collection of digital products and services that are committed to democratizing publishing and commerce.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to apply
Does this sound exciting?! If yes, please get in touch with us via email: Lance Willett, CPTO Tumblr: lance [at] automattic.com.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.