Director of Business Wrangling (CorpDev)
Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, and WooCommerce, is looking for an exceptional candidate to lead Business Wrangling.
As Director of Business Wrangling, you will identify, assess, and prioritize new business opportunities; negotiate terms and integrate acquisitions; and partner with internal teams to increase the top lines of our various business units.
- Conduct market and user research to identify, assess, and prioritize new business opportunities
- Make buy/build/partner decisions, and evaluate potential acquisition targets
- Execute deals and oversee their long-term success
- Help optimize pricing, bundles, and purchase flows for paid products
- Collaborate with teams across Automattic to ensure success
- Experience doing market and competitive research
- Technical background with an understanding of CMS and hosting environments
- Strong quantitative/analytical skills, including the ability to model business opportunities, assess trade-offs, and conduct a due diligence
- Experience working cross-functionally with Legal, Engineering, and Finance teams
- Ability to build and scale a team
We’re a distributed company with 646 Automatticians in 59 countries speaking 79 different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
How to Apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ this domain telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject.
Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please make sure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please include answers to each of the following questions in your email application:
- Tell us about a time you made a decision regarding whether or not to pursue a business opportunity, such as an acquisition, partnership, or expansion into a new market. What decision did you make and how did you make it?
- If you were hired for this role, which acquisition would you pursue first and why?
- If you ran WordPress, what would focus on or change about Automattic or the WordPress.org community?
- When setting prices for consumer-facing products, how would you set up a test to assess the optimal price?