At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place. We’re the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Tumblr, Simplenote, WordPress VIP, and more, and we’re looking for seasoned Brand/Creative Designers to keep the web free and open with us.
You’ll join a diverse design team and work closely with marketers, engineers, and customer support from around the world in a fully remote company to launch creative marketing and brand work, supporting products that make online publishing and commerce accessible to everyone.
What you’ll do
- Work independently and collaboratively on exceptional concepts, creative ideas, and visual design for marketing campaigns to promote our brands across various digital and traditional channels and mediums
- Actively evolve and contribute to brand and marketing design systems, creative templates, and style guides to help our brand design team grow our skills and scale our practice
- Work closely with the marketing and business teams on the development and validation of projects directly related to growing the business.
- Collaborate regularly with engineers and product designers to ship consistent, high-quality experiences across marketing and product.
- Manage and oversee project work with external creative contractors.
- Communicate and share often in written, verbal, and visual forms to create alignment and move the work towards implementation.
What we are looking for
- Extensive experience in brand and marketing creative design working on consumer brands or products in an agency or in-house environments.
- A design portfolio with examples of brand and web design work showing your keen eye for good design and attention to detail.
- Proactive attitude in leading big design changes and being comfortable to challenge the status quo.
- Ability to take projects from creation to final execution, managing and prioritizing multiple projects with various stakeholders.
- Strategic problem-solving skills and a capacity to switch between creative storytelling and systems thinking.
- Experience creating or working with existing illustrations is a plus.
- A genuine interest and familiarity with some of our products and the open-source community.
- Familiarity with remote work (or excitement to try it!).
How we work
We’re a global, distributed workforce in over 70 countries. We value open source, prioritize transparent communication, believe that good ideas can (and do) come from anywhere, so we encourage Automatticians to work together across positions and roles. Together we create, develop, and care for a collection of digital products and services that are committed to democratizing publishing and commerce.
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We have no set hours, or expectation that you’re online from 9 to 5. You create a schedule that allows you to get your best work done.
- We travel sometimes to meet up and work together.*
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels. Here’s more about what we expect from ourselves.
*REGARDING COVID-19 AND TRAVEL: The current pandemic is a rapidly changing situation. Automattic is monitoring government and health agency reports closely, and responding however possible to prioritize safety and well-being for our team members and communities. Currently all company travel has been suspended.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to Apply
If you’d like to apply, send us your portfolio or samples of your work, your resume, and brief answers to the following:
- Tell us why you’re interested in working at Automattic.
- Tell us briefly about a relevant design accomplishment you are most proud of, and why?
We are lucky to receive many applications, so try to make your application stand out.