Work With Us
Want to make the web a better place for more than a billion people each month? We’re hiring.
- Mobile Engineer
- Code Wrangler
- Affiliate Wrangler
- Business Development Wrangler
- Marketing Designer
- Mobile Designer
- Product Designer
- Director of Tax & Treasury
- Global Wrangler
- Performance Marketing
- Technical Account Engineer
- Enterprise Growth Engineer
- Excellence Wrangler
- Happiness Engineer
HOW WE WORK
Choose your own adventure · Everyone works from the location they choose. We’re spread out all over the world in more than 50 countries. We track about 70 percent of our projects on P2-themed WordPress.com blogs, 25 percent in private chat rooms, and the rest on Slack. Because of the geographic variance, we’re active 24/7. We care about the work you produce, not just the hours you put in.
Coming on board · When you make it past the interview stage we’ll do a project together on contract, typically lasting between two to six weeks depending on how much time you can spend, to see how we work together. When you join full-time, you’ll do customer support for WordPress.com for your first three weeks and spend a week in support annually, for evermore, regardless of your position. We believe an early and ongoing connection with the people who use our products is irreplaceable.
Meeting up · We get the whole company together once a year for seven days so that Automatticians can create bonds that influence them all year long. So far we’ve done Grand Meetups in San Francisco, California; La Paz, Mexico; Oracle, Arizona; Breckenridge, Colorado; Mont-Sainte-Anne, Québec; Seaside, Florida; Budapest, Hungary; San Diego, California; Santa Cruz, California; Park City, Utah; and Whistler, Canada.
In addition to our all-company Grand Meetup, teams meet for five to seven days to brainstorm team-level strategy and bond in locales ranging from Boulder to Buenos Aires, Las Vegas to Lisbon, Montréal to Mexico City, and Vienna to Vietnam. If you join our merry band, expect to travel three to four weeks per year.
Diversity and Inclusion · In 2014 we started to work, as a company, on facilitating spaces for discussions about diversity at Automattic. And at the 2016 Grand Meetup with all of our employees across 50 countries, we decided to share with the rest of the world what we are doing about diversity and inclusion.
What do we look for? · Automatticians are curious, driven, compassionate, tenacious, autonomous, friendly, independent, collaborative, communicative, supportive, self-motivated, and amazing with .gifs. We want to work with people interested in making the web and the world a better place. Think you’ve got what it takes? Apply today.
Getting to know us · Would you like to know a bit more about what it’s like to be part of Automattic? Check out this Business Insider interview with Matt on how our company runs without offices or email. Meet a few colleagues (aka Automatticians) and hear about their experiences in their own words. Eric did a Q&A on what it’s like to work at Automattic. Still on the fence? Karen says you should really just apply. Take a look at all of the things we accomplished in 2016.
Our Development Process
Data-informed, user-driven · For every feature we launch, we gather metrics about its usage, interaction, and growth in addition to listening to the masses of feedback we get on our blog and through support channels. This helps us inform decisions about new features and enhancements. It’s not uncommon to launch a feature and then iterate immediately.
Is Automattic growing? Yes.
Total WordPress.com, Akismet, Polldaddy, and Jetpack users.
- Open vacation policy (no set number of days per year). We encourage all employees to take the time they need for vacation, to pursue their own interests, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- Home office setup and coworking allowances. Working from a coffee shop? You can use your coworking allowance for the requisite latte!
- We happily provide or reimburse hardware and software you’ll need, as well as books or conferences that promote continued learning.
- Company-sponsored life insurance.
- Open parental leave (includes maternity, paternity, and adoption). If you’ve been with Automattic for 12 months, your leave is fully paid.
- WordPress-branded laptop at your four-year anniversary. A spiffy set of wireless headphones at your seven-year anniversary.
- Paid two to three-month sabbatical encouraged every five years.
- We cover all costs of company travel, so dust off that passport! Your team will get together one to three times per year in locations around the globe.
- Other benefits are country-specific, and include health, vision, and dental insurance; matching retirement/pension contributions; childcare vouchers; income protection; travel insurance; and discount offers.