Mobile Infrastructure Engineer
We want you to help us take WordPress, Simplenote, and other native apps for iOS and Android to the next level. We want people to be able to blog and manage their site or shop wherever they are on their mobile devices, taking advantage of the things that make our mobile devices our most important ones such as media and notifications. We work closely with multi-functional product teams to improve the WordPress experience on phones and tablets — both the apps and their underlying APIs and systems.
- You are passionate about releasing software reliably and on schedule so that your teammates can focus on building great apps.
- You love collaborating in code reviews and discussions about architecture or design.
- You’re motivated to help your teammates become more productive.
- You’re passionate about refining tooling for faster builds, a reliable CI, and automated code reviews.
- You have extensive experience with build systems for both Android and iOS.
- You’re knowledgeable about design patterns and testability – experience with XCUI / Espresso, performance testing, unit testing, and device farms is a plus.
- PHP, REST API, and WordPress backend programming experience.
- Experience with mobile development for iOS and/or Android.
- Familiar with Electron app development, or packaging and distribution.
- Experience with React Native development.
- Open source contributions.
- You’re involved in open source or other communities.
Speaking of interests and skills, here are some areas in which you can grow and have further impact in the future at the company:
- Leadership – we offer a variety of leadership options to those who have interest, including becoming a team lead and managing releases.
- Learning and development – we have a generous personal development budget and encourage you to grow your skills through courses, books and conferences.
- Architecture – we encourage developers to develop expertise in the systems they work with, guide their evolution and mentor other developers working on them.
- Engineering effectiveness – we believe in helping other developers become more effective through tools, practices, cross-team collaborations, and process improvements.
How do we work?
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, deploying many times daily with the help of peer code review, continuous integration, and our global workforce in over 70 countries.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION AT AUTOMATTIC
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
Curious who works in engineering at Automattic? Meet our Mobile Engineers – Thuy, Elisa and Aaron!
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound interesting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.