As a Happiness Engineer, helping people is your passion. Maybe you’ve developed your own support philosophy by reading books like Delivering Happiness or Exceptional Service, Exceptional Profit. Perhaps you’re a contributor in an online support community such as the WordPress.com forums or WordPress.org forums.
Our goal is to build relationships based on trust which result in happy, passionate, loyal customers and colleagues through listening to their needs and guiding them to the fullest use of the products we offer.
Interested in learning more about how our team works? Check out Andrew Spittle’s talk at UserConf.
In general, a typical day involves:
- Helping people use Automattic’s products, including WordPress.com, Jetpack, Gravatar, and more
- Troubleshooting, investigating, and creating detailed bug reports
- Crafting and editing helpful support documentation
- Being an active member of a team that provides around the clock support to our users via live chat, forums, and email
- Building a community of support by sharing knowledge and insight amongst team members
Being a Happiness Engineer requires:
- Patience, grace, and a sense of humor
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Working knowledge of WordPress, HTML, and CSS
- A knack for taking technical language and making it understandable
- A passion for solving tough problems and proposing elegant solutions
Happiness Engineers must be fluent and eloquent in written English. If you know additional languages, be sure to let us know! We’re always looking for friendly folks to help our global community.
The WordPress.com and WordPress.org forums are fantastic places to gain the experience required for this position. If you are already active there, let us know! Send a link to your forum profile and we’ll check it out. If you’ve published any tutorials or support articles, include links or attachments in your email.
Transforming publishing on the web is no small task. We are looking for people with the right mix of compassion, writing skills, and technical knowledge to get the job done. If that describes you, then we would love to chat.
How to Apply
Does this sound like a perfect fit? If yes, please send an email to jobs @ this domain telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. If you’ve read any of the books on support we mentioned above, let us know what you thought of them. Consider telling us about a great support experience you’ve had, and what made it so amazing. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.